Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It would be indicative of a failed check valve, or a stuck injector. I'm not exactly sure how the E46 system works, but most systems have a fuel check valve in the system, sometimes combined with the pressure regulator, sometimes not, that hold proper fuel pressure in the rail while the pump isn't running. If an injector is stuck open or leaking, same deal. Lets fuel slowly leak out.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    So....this is just giving the fuel pump time to prime the fuel rail? Could this be indicative of another minor problem?
    IDK, I took it to the dealership 2x and to an indie shop where I get most of my maintenance done and they all gave me the same look (they looked at me for a few seconds trying to figure out how they can politely tell me to lay off the roofies, jk). They all said they could not find any issues and it was probably natural differences in fuel as the M3 is prone to do that (not sure if it is true or not). I didn't listen to their advise and I purchased a new battery and changed the fuel filter, same issue (a ton of $$$ spent afterward). I left it alone and I just deal with it. It's not really an issue, sometimes it can take 0.5-2 seconds for the car to start but 95% of people don't notice anyway, I just happen to be one of those 5%.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I have not replaced the spark plugs. I do not know if it is related at all or whether changing the spark plugs will help at all.

Dinan High Flow Intake | BMW Perf. Glossy Black Grills | Body Color Reflectors | Debadged | DICE iPod Integration| Front Plate Delete

Just remember it only takes 3 things to make fire...air, fuel, and spark. So if one of those 3 isn't happening or isn't happening when you need it to happen, that'll be a problem. Just be logical and methodical....start with having fuel rail pressure monitored. Even an analog gauge off the rail up to the windshield will get you the information you need.

did this get figured out/resolved?

For my E46...it usually cranked instantly.

For my E86 though, it usually takes 2.5-4 seconds to start this car...always. I've talked to people about it and it's normal. Maybe it's just something you've never noticed?

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12