Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

excessive crank time

So this is the problem I have been have for the past couple months. When I try to start my car there it takes a 2-3 seconds longer for it to turn over than normal. It doesn't matter whether the engine has been driven for 30+ miles or been sitting all night it happens at random times. It progressed from a few times a week to once a day. I have noticed that

The check engine light has not come on yet and have not noticed anything other problems happening. It could not be the fuel pump because I had that replaced less than 5,000 miles ago.

I was thinking it could be the crankshaft sensor or one of the camshaft sensors (Exhaust, Intake). It is an 05 330 ci zhp all stock with 70,000 miles.

If it is one of those issues does the check engine light come on before the actual part dies so I have time to make it to a shop or will it just crap out on me with no warning .

Thanks in advance

What about fuel filter? Plugs?
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I had the sparks plugs replaced at 60,000 miles and the fuel filter replaced with the fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPER View Post
    I had the sparks plugs replaced at 60,000 miles and the fuel filter replaced with the fuel pump.
    I would think a code would be there or car would be running very poorly with a bab ckps.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

A bad fuel injector possibly.

Probably want to see what kind of fuel pressure you're holding in the fuel rail overnight/while off. If its dropping way down while sitting the delay may be the pump getting the rail back up to 50 or 60 psi or whatever we run at.

Try this next time....cycle your key to on to let the pump prime. Maybe 10 seconds. Then key off, and go for a full start and see if you get the long crank time.

What are the details on the fuel pump you put it?

Do you get this issue all the time or does it happen randomly?

This randomly happens on mine but after letting the pump prime, the issue hasn't happened yet. I just turn the key until my needles move (without starting the car) and I wait until the car stops beeping and then I start the car.

Dinan High Flow Intake | BMW Perf. Glossy Black Grills | Body Color Reflectors | Debadged | DICE iPod Integration| Front Plate Delete

I've had this happen a few times in the 3 years I've had my car but not in a long time. Sorry that I was no help

@ gordon GT and zj96sc---I will try this tomorrow and update. Thanks for the insight

'05 330 CI VERT

"Speed never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." -Jeremy Clarkson in Top Gear

"If one does not fail at times than one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by Gordo_GT View Post
    Do you get this issue all the time or does it happen randomly?

This randomly happens on mine but after letting the pump prime, the issue hasn't happened yet. I just turn the key until my needles move (without starting the car) and I wait until the car stops beeping and then I start the car.
    So....this is just giving the fuel pump time to prime the fuel rail? Could this be indicative of another minor problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast