Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

8ch Eye Dee Ignitor (Ballast)

Soooo....A while back I installed 6K HID bulbs that I purchased from www.jlevisw.com

I am just now getting around to asking this question...but its starting to bug me.

The passenger side HID bulb seems dimmer than the drivers side (not by much though).

Question I. What can cause this other than the ZKW bowl issue?

Back when one of the bulbs blew (and I went with the bulbs above), I also purchased a brand new ignitor (ballast), from Tischer. It's still sitting on my tool box....just looking at me.

Question II. Do ignitor (ballasts) fail all at once or can they also make the bulb burn dim?
    I would think they are an "all or nothing" item...but maybe not.

Thanks for any help.

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

It's my understanding that the ballasts are all-or-nothing items. My driver's side fog light randomly doesn't work, and it's an HID setup. I suspect the ballast, because sometimes I turn the fogs on and only the right side illuminates. If I turn them off and back on again a couple of times, sometimes the driver's side will come back on and it will stay on the entire way until I turn the car off. Other times, it will start up the first time, and whenever it starts up, it stays on until the car gets shut off again. At that point, it's hit-or-miss whether it'll start up the first time when they're turned on again.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Okay this is all new to me. I'm soaking it all up like a sponge. So is HID and Xenons the same thing?
    Lance
    Autobahn South
    S/ASH
    My car finds your lack of faith disturbing

Quote Originally Posted by pyreguy View Post
    Okay this is all new to me. I'm soaking it all up like a sponge. So is HID and Xenons the same thing?
    HID = High Intensity Discharge. Xenon is the gas in the HID lights.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Groovy, thanks.
    Lance
    Autobahn South
    S/ASH

Well, interesting question. I believe you have more parts that you think. Ignitors are part of the ballast, but not necessarily the ballast itself. I used to run a hydroponic store which sold HID lighting (yeah, bring on the hippie jokes..) Ignitor actually fires the bulb, but the ballast maintains the current. Basically, bad ignitor means you get no light. bad ballast could mean you get dim light. I dont know if xenons act light HPS or halide bulbs, but if they do, you may just have a ballast going bad. I know this is full of ifs and shoulds, but take it for what it is.
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

I lack the willpower to resist.

A hippie walks into a bar....
    Lance
    Autobahn South
    S/ASH

Yes...its 2300 and I don't have a headlight in my car....and reading the above...I may be wasting my time....

Got a nice pic for you guys to show where the "ZKW" is labeled....

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Interesting. The new ignitor fixed the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Interesting. The new ignitor fixed the issue.
    Good solve. And you can still be in bed by midnight ftw.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast