Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pulling out the center console--do you *have* to remove the shift knob, trim, and boot?

I want to take out enough of the center console to access the power wires that are there below the coinholder prewired for the analog cellular phone so I can use them instead to install a powered USB jack.

Have seen some plans for this--do you really have to pull out the shift knob and boot along with the center console? It seems like the boot and knob could stay to get to this area but all the plans I've seen call for those to come out also. Really nervous enough about pulling the e-brake handle and boot off without having to remove the shift knob and boot also.

Comments appreciated--thanks!

Yes, you'll have to remove those things.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Yes, you'll have to remove those things.
    Indeed. There are two screws holding the center console in place directly under the shift plate surround. You could just pull the shift boot frame out and unscrew them without actually popping off the knob.

Sorry, didn't look at the thread date.

Quote Originally Posted by Smolck View Post
    Indeed. There are two screws holding the center console in place directly under the shift plate surround. You could just pull the shift boot frame out and unscrew them without actually popping off the knob.

Hehe... Bump.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Actually--thanks! I keep procrastinating on this and now won't take the knob off!
    '05 ZHP Coupe 6MT | Imola Red w/ Natural Brown
    M3 Mirrors | BMW Performance Airbox & Strut Brace | AC Schnitzer Pedals | Weathertech Mats | Homelink Transmitter | OEM First Aid Box | Dynavin N7 Pro

I've taken my shifter off at least 4 times, no big deal. It's not going to mess anything up. Also, while you have it off you can refresh the cube (assuming you have black). I need to take mine off again and redo it as I'm starting to see scratches

in theory you could probably just pull the boot loose from the console, remove the screws holding the console down, and thread the boot through the opening while removing the console. Square shapes can usually pass through a square hole of the same size with some wiggling.

Bigger point though is that the shift knob is not a complex removal. Just give it a good quick pop. watch your face and windshield though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    I've taken my shifter off at least 4 times, no big deal. It's not going to mess anything up. Also, while you have it off you can refresh the cube (assuming you have black). I need to take mine off again and redo it as I'm starting to see scratches
    How does one "refresh the cube"?

How does one "refresh the cube"?
    +1

I'd like to know how to "refresh" the trim as well. My driver's armrest has some nasty scratches

I'll write up a DIY tonight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast