Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

I'm looking to the family for wheel/tire advice.

Let me say first that I am horrible at making decisions that will cost me money. Heck, I started contemplating buying a new (to me) car well over a year before I got my ZHP. Unfortunately, this decision would best be made sooner than later.

I need new tires. New tires are expensive. So, here's my thought process:

Option #1 - suck it up and buy new tires that fit the stock 135s. Though they are a pain to clean, and have some curb rash, I do like the wheels. My last name is not Andretti, and I do not race my car, so I would rather buy tires for longevity than performance. All-season seems to be a better option for longevity, so I could consider Yokohama AVIDs, Pirelli P-Zeros, or Continental DWs. This option will cost $850-1000.

Option #2 - find new wheels that keep the ZHP character but give me the option to rotate. 18x8 or 18.8.5 square setup. Pretty much limited to aftermarket, and would end up with an initial higher cost, but be offset by being able to sell my 135s for about $500-600 (realistic?). Factoring in proceeds from this sale, this option will cost $700+.

Option #3 - find new smaller wheels that are budget-minded and still fit the ZHP. Looks like I could get 17x8 wheels and tires shipped from TireRack for about $1000, so this option could cost $400-500 after selling my 135s.

Option #4 - sell my 135s to pay for tires for the winter wheels I got with the car (CLASSY). This pretty much costs me nothing but time (and possibly dignity).

I'd love any and all thoughts from the Mafia. Thanks!

Jason | 2004 BMW 330i ZHP | 6 Speed Manual | Imola Red | Natural Brown | BBS Style 197s | Awesomeness

Option one. Keep the wheels. Buy new tires. Style 135 and the ZHP go hand in hand.

Option 2.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

1 or 2. Please delete 3
    -ADAM

The Style 68M wheels look good on the E46. Those being the 17" ZSP (sport pkg) wheels seen on most US-spec E46 330 models.

I recently sold a set of those: 4 non-staggered "fronts" with decent Sumitomo tires for $600.

Most used sets you'll come across will be ZSP take-offs and therefore will be staggered.

I'd look for a set of those with decent matching tires.

I vote for #1

FYI,
    I would skip out on the Pirelli P-Zero Nero All Seasons. I had them before my current set and had too many quality control issues with them; (2) of the (4) tires were defective. Really.
    Plus, they weren't very good handling-wise compared to my current set.

I now have Continental ExtremeContact DWS's and have no regrets switching. This is a truly excellent tire, and price-wise it is inline with the rest. On Tire Rack, they are the highest rated all season in its category (forgot which category though).

What I would do if I was in your shoes is just bite the bullet and get new tires for your existing wheels. It's the cheapest option, and gives you time to decide what you truly want to do and save up for it. Since you need tires now, that shouldn't force you to jump the gun and buy something that you may end up regretting. If you like your 135's, I would just put tires on them.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus-SanDiego View Post
    Option one. Keep the wheels. Buy new tires. Style 135 and the ZHP go hand in hand.
    Any thoughts on the tires I listed (this applies across the options)?

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Option 2.
    Thoughts on the moda MD11 as an option?

Quote Originally Posted by Alphatek45 View Post
    1 or 2. Please delete 3
    Haha. Tell me how you really feel!

Jason | 2004 BMW 330i ZHP | 6 Speed Manual | Imola Red | Natural Brown | BBS Style 197s | Awesomeness

I really don't have an opinion on the tires. I'm a summer-tire guy. Don't know much about all seasons. My last set of tires were about $600. Falken FK452. Treadwear 300. The original owner had them. I replaced them again with the same tire. I liked them.

The AVIDENVIGOR is a great all season.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast