Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

hello community!

since i was last here, we've added two munchkins to the roster, picked up a subaru outback for the wife, and i replaced my extended cab 7.3 with a crew cab 7.3.

two kids took pretty much any wrench time, and the crew cab 7.3 took what remained to get it fitted and sorted. lots of ignored maintenance and upkeep, plus an old man emu suspension kit.

new truck, and another new hobby i dont have time for strapped to the back:

in that time, the zhp has been a rock solid daily/commuter. still love the car. was getting a little threadbare from the use, headliner especially.

still cleans up nice:

it needed a good scrub and fresh headliner,

anyway, on to the pics:

gross!

pull drivers seat and headliner comes out back left:

saggy saggy:

this part sucked every bit as bad as you think it did:

squeaky clean and blown with compressed air:

3yd of headliner fabric from joanns, $49. only needed 2, coulda done it for $30. considered alcanatara, but $50 vs $500 kept me on this route.

3M headliner adhesive, $22/can, DO NOT use 3M 77.

apply glue heavily to both sides, allow to tack, then start pressing:

done. i shot glue over the edge right into the center of the headliner. i am an idiot. i am an idiot. i am an idiot.

barrff...embarrasing

done done:

am waiting on an order from ECS to put a ribbon on it: 2x C pillars, brake light cover, headrest guide, sunroof switch panel, rear lower seat sill panel, and a handful of trim clips and bits and bobs. everything was pretty brittle coming apart. it really needs A and B pillars, but they look decent enough with the fabric pulled off. and a rear decklid, but i'm not spending $400 on that.

anyway, comments or questions welcome.

PK

Pull the rear deck and spray it with fabric paint. Simple Spray fabric spray paint dye or Dupli-Color makes a fabric dye but I think I read on m3forum that the former is a better match. I used Dupli and it worked fine with tint.

Could. I used that stuff on an e30 decklid a decade ago doing an interior color conversion. It worked, looked ok, but came out pretty crusty feeling. Maybe I didn't do it right.

Damn, that headliner turned out great! Thank you for sharing the process. I take it you had bad experience with 3M 77 adhesive, hence the headliner adhesive?

Not personally. Every headliner diy I read was adamant about not using it so I shared the note here. Apparently it doesn't withstand overhead applications or the extreme heat a headliner sees.

Good stuff!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Kudos on that headliner. I need this bad.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by zj96sc View Post
    Not personally. Every headliner diy I read was adamant about not using it so I shared the note here. Apparently it doesn't withstand overhead applications or the extreme heat a headliner sees.
    Makes sense. Thanks again for posting the process, your results look great.

Wow you actually did the thing that we all talk about doing but don't do

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213