Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

40 years of the 3 series

Saw this on MSN and had to share:
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos...mage=AAeVf6t|1
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Nice read, e30 and e46 are the best

I beg to differ... 800whp

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443878687.750235.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  120.2 KB

Look forward to the next 40 of the 3-series. It will be interesting to see which way they go when they launch the new 3-series in the next couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by NYRhockey View Post
    Look forward to the next 40 of the 3-series. It will be interesting to see which way they go when they launch the new 3-series in the next couple of years.
    I can see it now:
    More people "complaining" (I used the NICE word for it) about how BMW is getting more and more "out of touch" with enthusiasts, while the small minority of people (such as myself) would say it's friggin' awesome.
    Last edited by az3579; 10-06-2015 at 11:09 AM.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I can see it now:
    More people "complaining" (I used the NICE word for it) about how BMW is getting more and more "out of touch" with enthusiasts, while the small majority of people (such as myself) would say it's friggin' awesome.
    By that time BP you will be in the vast majority and those "complaining' people like me will either be croaked or in the marginalized minority.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 M Mike View Post
    By that time BP you will be in the vast majority and those "complaining' people like me will either be croaked or in the marginalized minority.
    Minority is what I meant to type...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Minority is what I meant to type...
    Yeah, I reckoned that's what you meant.

I recently had a F30 as a loaner for 3 days while the E91 was in for warranty work, and it was the biggest piece of crap with a roundel affixed to it that I've ever driven. It was an utter embarrassment on the road as it rolled and pitched about, was numb and devoid of any feel in the steering rack, and played dead in the corners.

Over the course of 25 years now we've been admittedly blessed to have some variant of a 3 series in the stable; from E30's, E36's, E46's to E90's. Always looked forward to service visits during those times to see what loaner I was going to get so I could get excited about planning to add the next generation to our legacy. Over the course of those years these loaners have run the gamut from RWD to AWD; with SP and sans it; max performance rubber to all season; run flat to go flat...............and they all without exception still drove and handled like you'd expect the UDM to do.

But the F30 was a cold slap to the face. It was nothing but the Ultimate Parking Machine.....to put it in Biblical terms....an abomination to the beloved Roundel.

It might still be the benchmark within its segment, and sales numbers are off the hook, but when you turn the wheel and begin to compare it to its progenitors of yore.....doesn't take long to see how far the legend has really fallen.........

at least to this Jurassic enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 M Mike View Post
    Yeah, I reckoned that's what you meant.

I recently had a F30 as a loaner for 3 days while the E91 was in for warranty work, and it was the biggest piece of crap with a roundel affixed to it that I've ever driven. It was an utter embarrassment on the road as it rolled and pitched about, was numb and devoid of any feel in the steering rack, and played dead in the corners.

Over the course of 25 years now we've been admittedly blessed to have some variant of a 3 series in the stable; from E30's, E36's, E46's to E90's. Always looked forward to service visits during those times to see what loaner I was going to get so I could get excited about planning to add the next generation to our legacy. Over the course of those years these loaners have run the gamut from RWD to AWD; with SP and sans it; max performance rubber to all season; run flat to go flat...............and they all without exception still drove and handled like you'd expect the UDM to do.

But the F30 was a cold slap to the face. It was nothing but the Ultimate Parking Machine.....to put it in Biblical terms....an abomination to the beloved Roundel.

It might still be the benchmark within its segment, and sales numbers are off the hook, but when you turn the wheel and begin to compare it to its progenitors of yore.....doesn't take long to see how far the legend has really fallen.........

at least to this Jurassic enthusiast.

You see, I totally disagree with you on almost everything you said. I was quite surprised at how well the F30 and F34 loaners I had handled (both X-Drive models). I chucked them at my favorite 270-degree turn and they not only handled the turn like a boss with regards to grip, but they did it without any drama, just a little body roll (expected of a stock non-sport suspension). Okay, you don't feel as much through the wheel, but ultimately that really doesn't matter as long as you are paying attention and know what the car is doing. I found steering response and ratio was quite excellent, and I actually did feel some of the road. While not a whole lot, it's not fair to say there is zero feel, because that is totally untrue, even if the feel you do get is from what you feel through the suspension bushings.

I was pleased with how well they ride, but then again, anything is a pleasure compared to my stiff-as-hell ZHP. Yeah, they're not as sharp as my ZHP, but they also aren't two inches from the ground with a ride that breaks your back either, so that is expected. Drive an M-Sport model to make a more direct comparison to a stock ZHP and see how you feel then. It's not fair to compare apples to oranges.

Oh yeah, BTW - A 328i loaner is faster than my ZHP, especially with the sport auto programming.

So, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast