Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VANOS question

Quote Originally Posted by MrMaico View Post
    If I had been hearing a Vanos rattle I would have went with Dr Vanos. Since there was no rattle I just did the Beisan seals. I wouldn't have wanted to deal with the procedure for setting the tension on the bearings for the rattle kit. IMO, there's no way to be sure you're getting the correct amount of play.
    Are you talking about the inspection and adjustment of piston bearing? It seems straight forward to me, and, it wouldn't surprise me if.....

1. Dr Vanos gets their parts from beisansystems and,

2. There's probably a copy of the beisansystems procedure sitting in the shop when they make the repairs to suspect units.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

thanks. I did find the previous link dane had posted on beisan systems. Yep, the intel on zhp's is amazing. it is the one at the dealer in MD. I'm going to stay patient. what I have observed during my first week of the"hunt" is that with all the experts reviewing all zhp's for sale, there really isn't much risk of buying a well serviced vehicle with 40-60k miles, especially if it's a mafia member and other members have observed the car first hand.

True. I bought mine w/ 98k, no PPI.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Are you talking about the inspection and adjustment of piston bearing? It seems straight forward to me, and, it wouldn't surprise me if.....

1. Dr Vanos gets their parts from beisansystems and,

2. There's probably a copy of the beisansystems procedure sitting in the shop when they make the repairs to suspect units.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    I'm not saying it there is anything wrong with the Beisan anti-rattle kit or the procedure but if that's what Dr Vanos uses they have done it many times and know the exact "feel" that the bearings should have but a person doing it for the first time may not have the experience to know if they have it right. For ME, I would rather pay the extra bucks to know it's been done right the first time. That's my opinion, to each their own.

I thought Dr V had their own rattle cure that they were using even before the Beisan anti-rattle kt came out?

Quote Originally Posted by MrMaico View Post
    I'm not saying it there is anything wrong with the Beisan anti-rattle kit or the procedure but if that's what Dr Vanos uses they have done it many times and know the exact "feel" that the bearings should have but a person doing it for the first time may not have the experience to know if they have it right. For ME, I would rather pay the extra bucks to know it's been done right the first time. That's my opinion, to each their own.

I thought Dr V had their own rattle cure that they were using even before the Beisan anti-rattle kt came out?
    Ok. Sounds good. Dunno.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

When I do the VANOS fix, I'll probably get the kit from Dr. Vanos. That way, I can just bolt off the old and bolt on the new. Also, I don't want to have to deal with finicky little teeny-tiny, easily-breakable parts or a spring that just flies away in to the abyss of a garage floor.

Edit: And, OP, good luck with that dealer in Baltimore. If it's the car I'm thinking of, they haven't budged on the price. In fact, they raised it after three months.

I don't think they ever raised it, just their website had a different price than autotrader did. Been like that since day 1. Either way, good luck. Its a nice car but a crazy price.

I'm pretty torn over the Beisan/Dr Vanos question. I do not like Beisan's preloading procedure with "3 1 second taps of the impact." That is almost comically inaccurate....could be 100lbft or 600lbft depending on what impact you use. Then again, I would be curious what procedure Dr. Vanos uses.

Quote Originally Posted by llll1l1ll View Post
    When I do the VANOS fix, I'll probably get the kit from Dr. Vanos. That way, I can just bolt off the old and bolt on the new. Also, I don't want to have to deal with finicky little teeny-tiny, easily-breakable parts or a spring that just flies away in to the abyss of a garage floor.

Edit: And, OP, good luck with that dealer in Baltimore. If it's the car I'm thinking of, they haven't budged on the price. In fact, they raised it after three months.
    As an FYI...You will do 95% of the maintenance going the Dr. Vanos route. Getting to the vanos is most of the labor.

Nah, I don't mind taking off the VANOS unit. From my understanding, Dr. Vanos gives you one that they have already redone on the inside. Then you just take yours off, send it back to them, and then put theirs on.

What I am referring to are all these little parts on the inside of the VANOS unit. I mean, they aren't that small, but I have always come across issues on tiny stuff like seals and whatnot. I just don't trust myself working with stuff that takes a lot of fumbling - particularly if it's smaller items like the VANOS pistons. I don't want to get frustrated trying to get the exhaust piston spring to compress and then bend something from the application of my angry frustration force.

Ok.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast