Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Windshield Guru > Another option for us

Just got off the phone with Wendy over at Windshield guru. Seemed very nice. Only cut me off once......I almost threw my phone when she did this....but otherwise was pleasant.

http://www.autoglassguru.com/

The data I got from her was the following.

1. They are mobile.

2. They do NOT use recycled materials like Safelite uses. Safelite apparently makes their own windshields. I did not know this.

3. They only use Pilkington glass for the BMW's.

4. $335.65 out the door. Same price as Safelite with the recycled windshield, but for Pilkington glass.

*I will update this review on install.

Other useless (ahem...usefull) info:

Realoem link for part number > http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...22&hg=51&fg=05

ECSTuning link and price for BMW OEM Windshield > http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/51317059705/ES92922/

So...it looks like they make a lil over $100.00 for labor and gasket....unless they are able to find cheaper.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...22&hg=51&fg=05
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Just a little fun fact for you, Pilkington does have decent glass. They are owned by NSG a japanese based company. Safelite is owned by Belron and sells glass to a large portion of the autoglass industry. Belron owns a huge portion of autoglass companies all over the world and are a Belgium based company.

Personally I would never put anything except for OEM BMW glass in my car. Ive worked with Safelite and Pilkington glass and personally I dont feel either would be good enough for my BMW. If you do use aftermarket glass though, a good way to see if its good is to looks at the edges where the glass curves from sitting in the car. Poor glass will have lots of warps, you never really see it while just driving, youll just notice it when looking around.

With that said I hope I never have to have a windshield replaced or any glass. I worked for safelite for 2 years when I was younger and cars get seriously messed up when you have to replace glass. A lot of it you will never actually see, but its unavoidable.
    MODS: Badassery | Pure Awesomeness | My Blog

Pilkington is the oem glass. Every window on my car says...."Pilkington" "BMW" on it.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Pilkington is the oem glass. Every window on my car says...."Pilkington" "BMW" on it.
    Really, I didnt know that? We always ordered glass for BMWs from BMW and a BMW truck showed up so I never really looked lol. You just taught me something sir.

I just did a little researching because that baffled me.

Seems BMW uses different glass in there different series.

the 5 and 7s have Sekruit glass in it and the "cheaper" cars depends, I couldnt find a for sure answer on that.

OK. For the 3 series....I believe the Pilkington glass = BMW glass. It has the BMW symbol and everything.

For my 6 side windows it says this.

For my rear window it says this.

The Guru showed up at 1330 (1000-1400 was time frame).

One thumb down on punctuality.

Guy was friendly and courteous.

Laid big jack hammer thingy across custom shift surround. Didn't like that but no damage was evident.

I give my overall score based on price and service a 7/10.

Here's the Pilkington glass that was put in.

This is a good option at $335.65.

Yes...I see no BMW emblem.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Does it look crazy looking out your new windshield now? Like crazy clear

Quote Originally Posted by M3TA5IN View Post
    Does it look crazy looking out your new windshield now? Like crazy clear
    Really...its ridiculous. I wish they never got mandated or cracked. Gonna do new wiper today. Prolly just go with Rain-X.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast