Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Aww. I remember the first time I met him. I kept thinking, "What a dork."

Please visit my build page here, on CarDomain.

Love the intro to this thread, I'm subscribed and I wish you the best of luck with your "project track car search." You and I are a lot alike with the A.D.D., nothing helps me, I just gotta be. Are you setting this car up to do SCCA stuff, NASA, or are you gonna build it for doing HPDE's and such? ...just curious what your direction is, I know a few people that own race teams doing SCCA/NASA racing, and If I can help in any way let me know I've been talking a little here and there with a good friend about doing something similar with an E36, speciffically a 318i... I'm verrrrry interested in your build Cody!
    http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6136/5934684585_efb25fa4b8_m.jpg
    My garage: 08' Alpine White 135i Coupe putting out 405 wHP to BOTH rear wheels. 05' LeMans Blue X5 4.8is that I like to call Truckmeat. Socketheads 05' Dinan tuned ZHP, and a few Hondas to keep it real.

Quote Originally Posted by kpro View Post
    Love the intro to this thread, I'm subscribed and I wish you the best of luck with your "project track car search." You and I are a lot alike with the A.D.D., nothing helps me, I just gotta be. Are you setting this car up to do SCCA stuff, NASA, or are you gonna build it for doing HPDE's and such? ...just curious what your direction is, I know a few people that own race teams doing SCCA/NASA racing, and If I can help in any way let me know I've been talking a little here and there with a good friend about doing something similar with an E36, speciffically a 318i... I'm verrrrry interested in your build Cody!
    I am unsure what route I am going to take right now, but once I get a better idea or the direction I am going to go it is all going to be documented here. From the research I did on each series to why I went with what I did.

I have looked a lot into the SCCA and I like the programs they offer and the level you can get to. I have also looked into BMWCCA SpecE36 class. Although it is limited and the competition probably isnt as fierce as I would like, it might be a good starting platform for building the car and learning a lot.

For now though, this is just a learning car not only in racing, but also for BMWs. I was very competitive in the offroad scene and learned a lot about vehicles and taking them apart and fixing things. I have never truly dove into engines though and things of that nature. Mostly suspension set ups, gearing and axles.

I would love input or knowledge you have, as this is the very start of the adventure. I know Audi0000 has been involved in the track world for awhile and will be able to give me a lot of input (he could throw a rock at my house and knock me out we are so close). So I will probalby start with just some basic track days and getting use to the car, and the experience.

The first thing I am going to do though is get some books on e36s, put it in the garage this winter and just start ripping everything out for weight reduction and mainly to learn.

I started this thread because its extremely difficult to ever find anything about how people started, just projects of what they are doing to there current car. This thread will catalog my whole experience from now, to the build of the e36, and eventually the next car I move on to (really want a e46 M3).

So please everyone, all input, questions, experience, and just good pure BSing is welcome in here. I dont care about "cluttering" "my" thread, it is for everyone that is interested.
    MODS: Badassery | Pure Awesomeness | My Blog

Cody,
    Any time you need a hand, or some moral support, hit me up; will gladly come up if I have nothing else going on. Would love to help you get a start and learn a few things in the process! You're not even that far from me...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Thanks AZ! Like I said, anyone of you is welcome to my casa anytime you want, if possible I will even provide a bed.

So I have been researching the different orgnizations, classes, etc. I think I have narrowed it down to NASA still reading over the rules and classes for a long term goal. I will start with doing HPDEs though after some track days with Audi0000.

Will spend this winter tearing down the car and refreshing worn parts etc.

I also have a thead going on bimmerforums in the track section, they have a large e36 crowd so I wanted to talk to them. You guys can check it out if you want. I wanted to get input from a racing angle on OBDI over II. They are also giving all kinds of useful information for getting into it! I also gave a shout out to ZHPmafia there :D

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1721603

Last edited by M3TA5IN; 09-29-2011 at 08:48 AM.

This thread makes me laugh. I think we are all a bit like this. Hence us spending countless hours on forums. I always wanted to turn the Zhp into a track monster but don't think the funds will permit that right now. Maybe someday.... Good luck man!
    -JJ
    2005 Zhp Sedan (Sold), back in the 2004 Allroad 2.7t

It was a early Chicago morning. 5:37 to be exact, very sleepy, the eyes were heavy and the snooze was on its 5th hit. Crap! I gotta go to the airport! Oh, but I am so excited, my fancy spancy BMW is sitting there waiting for me to drive it Sitting at the airport now, making my final decision on the track car, its been a rough process. Ive probably looked at 183 cars from e30s to e46 M3s.

So I found a e46 M3 in NY on that one silly forum. It was a salvage title, the previous owner hit a deer in it and it messed up the passenger front in. The work was professional done on the car though and looked great. The current owner was asking $13k. So I started the research, talk to the shop that did the work, saw all the receipts for the work done and researched the process for getting a rebuilt title in PA. I thought, when will I ever have a chance to buy a e46 M3 for 13k with 75k miles again, and this would make the perfect track candidate! After discussing with the fiance and much thought. I decided this would be a little larger project and I would need to sell the 330i to fund this project. Pay for the car and then start ripping her down and building her up. I spoke to the owner and was very excited to go see the car...

Well like all things in my life, i am more indecisive than a woman (lol you all thought I was going to get a e46 M3). I struggled with the thought of selling my car. I looked for it forever and I love my car. So after the e46 M3, looking at fully built e30s, countless e36 325s and e36 M3s I came to my decision. I want to be different and live on the edge! I am going to build and track my e90!!!! I know I know, some of you are thinking that is just down right crazy, even stupid! Well I like to be different and do what people tell me I cant do. Ive done tons of research on what little performance upgrades there are for my car and thought outside the box, I even found about 2 build threads where others have built there e90 for track purpose. I know this is not the best decision I have made in my life, but my car is fully paid for so whatevs. I figure the worst case scenario is I or someone else is a horrible driver and I fly off the track and do 52 barrel rolls landing in a heap of mangled e90ish ball of beauty and sell the scraps to a yard for whatever I can get. At this point I will look back at the mistakes and poor decisions I have made in life and use this learning experience as research to better my children and tell them all the stupid stuff daddy did.

On the flip side, this is going to be sique nasty! Prepare for the ultimate track/learning experience you have ever witnessed ZHPmafia! Oh yes, prepare!

Currently in talks with some contacts of Udubs on getting a tune (more information to follow). Ill be getting stock dynos ran in the next couple weeks and getting my curb weight figured out.

Also talking to Gavin and MMW about his headers for the N52 he is working on.... stay tuned

WOW. Big decision! Can't say the E90 would've been my choice, but this will definitely be awesome. Can't wait to see what happens.

Sent from my Droid Charge.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast