Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Haha look closer like an "I SPY" book type of thing.

"I don't care if the door gaps are straight. When the driver steps on the gas I want him to sheet his pant's." Enzo Ferrari

I too have always wanted an in car toaster, but I worry about the crumbs.

Nice paddles BTW.

Epic win, Ryan. Great job, looks fantastic.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Shit...is that an smg ///M wheel? Super mod, Ry!

RootedDROIDXstatus. Come at me, bro.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Paddles! Awesome! Looks great.

Please visit my build page here, on CarDomain.

nice, gonna have to put this on my list of things to do eventually

Thanks everyone

Yes its an SMG M3 wheel. I was able to find at an amazing price with the clock spring. The rest of the parts were from BMW, Autozone and Homedepo. I think this is my favorite mod now or close to the top of my favorites, its hard to choose. It makes the car alot more fun. The whole reason I built the harness was because

1. I didn't want to just tap into the steptronic wires.
    2. Its easily removable.

The harness acts as a jumper. It bridges in between the steptronic plugs and then just has the two wires that run up to the wheel for the SMG paddles.

"I don't care if the door gaps are straight. When the driver steps on the gas I want him to sheet his pant's." Enzo Ferrari

DIY or ban for life.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    DIY or ban for life.
    +1

Here are the two DIY's I followed. Its been done before so here's what these people did. Follow at your own risk as im not responsible if something was to go wrong or damage your car

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=571539

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=826971

I will add what I bought from BMW, which is a spin off a bit.

From BMW

4 bushing contacts part #61130006663
    4 pin outs #6113000664
    1 plug small blue #61138380696
    1 plug large blue #61136925611
    1 two pin small plug blue #61136925634
    2 bushing contacts #61130005197

Optional from BMW

SMG clock spring #61318379091 NOTE I bought a used one from the same donor car I purchased the Steering wheel from. So I know that's the right one. The part number above is said to be the new updated clock spring. I guess from reading that part number is the same as the clock spring from a non SMG car. That's because I guess BMW updated them to all have the two extra pin outs needed for the SMG wheel to work regardless if you order it for a SMG car or not. Just make sure that the one you end up with has the two extra pin outs shown in the pictures in this diy http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=571539

SMG Steering wheel. Buy a new one if your crazy but otherwise find a used one for not even half the cost.

From Autozone/ Home depo or of the same.

18 gauge 12.19m wire.
    This was of the closest to the same of the wire on the contacts and pin outs I got from BMW

Red wire connectors for 22-18 gauge size wire at least 10 with with no mistakes

Heat shrink tubing

Electrical tape

I followed the one wire harness map drawn here http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=571539

The difference is it depends on what year your car is. In 2002 BMW changed the steptronic shift pattern from up shift foward/ down shift back to down shift foward/ up shift back. Mine was up down shift foward up shift back. Just check the two middle pin outs on the steptronic plug with a test light.

For my car the 4 wires that control the steptronic mode in this diy were almost the same http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=826971

The only thing that was different with my car was that those DIY's were both for 2001 E46's. There shift patterns were different since they weren't changed yet as I have mentioned before.

For my 2002 E46 the

Blue/ yellow wire was my up shift signal
    Blue/ gray was down shift signal

If I recall the pin outs on the plugs I built that made the Blue/ yellow pin in spot 2, and the Blue/ gray pin out in pin spot 3. For all the contacts/ pin outs they slide into the connectors one way only and snap in. Make sure you place them in all the way, and once done the outer piece of the connector snaps down to lock them in even more.

Take the up shift wires and connect them together as shown in the wire drawing and with a piece of the extra 18 gauge wire you bought. Do the same with the down shift wires. These are the two wires that get ran up to the steering wheel clock spring. I cut about 3ft of wire per side which was more than enough. The pin outs come with wire connected from BMW already so that plus the 3tf is plenty.

The number 2 pin out for the up shift signal runs into number 2 pin out for the small 2 pin connector that gets plugged into the clock spring. The down shift signal wire gets run into number 1.

The two end wires on the large 4 pin plugs just get bridged across to the same side pin out.

Over each wire connector I used I put shrink tubing, I used the electrical tape to just wrap over the finished wires etc to clean it up.

When building the harness just make sure you double check what wires run where as its easy to mix them, like said before make sure you check with a test light as anything could be different.

Once done it plugs right in between the stock steptronic plugs.
    Last edited by Whitexi; 10-08-2011 at 06:52 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast