Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Clicking in engine bay

So, I figured some of you may know if this is a problem or not. When i raise my hood with the car running, it sounds like a lot of clicking going on in the engine bay. My car has been in the shop recently for some repairs (from hitting a landscaping block in the middle of the highway....) and the mechanic did not say anything about it. (and he is one to mention EVERYTHING that he thinks i need to do to the car) is this somewhat normal for our cars? you cant hear it with the hood closed, and turning on/off ac doesnt change the sound at all. The car runs great, and i dont feel anything power wise that leads me to believe i have a problem, but any advise or things to check out would be appreciated. ive got 134k miles on it, FYI.
    thanks in advance.
    David
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

I have a ticking noise also. It bothers me, but my mechanic didn't say anything about it either. It doesn't bother me as much as my VANOS does. The car is starting to sound like a diesel at idle

I have my work cut out for me in the Spring!

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
    -Alex

Ticky, clicky...not normal.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

we have timing chains not belts, right? Think it might just need a tune up?

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

we have timing belts....but they only very, very, very rarely need adjustment or go bad. You don't think you just need the anti-rattle kit?
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

i didnt think the rattle kit was for idle, i thought it was for 2500k rattle. guess im wrong?

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

I have a tick at idle as well and I've already done the Vanos with rattle kit.

Tick at idle could be failed DISA...

I tried disconnecting the DISA at idle and the ticking was still there. I think it's a lifter thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ZSP-Mafia View Post
    I tried disconnecting the DISA at idle and the ticking was still there. I think it's a lifter thing.
    Yes. Lifters especially chatter in cold weather, too. After a while, as the car gets warmed up, it goes away. I had that with my E90.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast