Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I find the car with the square setup to be so much more enjoyable to drive around twisty roads. I think 30mm stagger is too much for a ~240 HP car. I too was looking to reduce my rears to a 235 width to bring it closer to the front. 225 over 8.5 wheels is too stretchy I think.
    2004 ZHP * IMOLAROT II * OEM Clears * ///M Strut * CoolantSnitch

I always liked wider rears for public driving just because of unexpected scenarios.

Conditions are so much more predictable on the track with a square setup. You can initiate oversteer or understeer easily and you learn all the bumps and turns of that track so you know what you can do on each corner.

In public I like wider rears since the power is put there and if I am feeling my car right along with understanding the laws of physics, this allows me to be harder on the brakes in a panic situation while cornering with less of a chance of oversteer compared to a same width rear as the front. In a situation that requires me to GET OUT as fast as I can, I can throttle it hard while cornering with less chance of rear tire grip loss. If I understeer it's because I was driving out my front tire traction so it doesn't matter what size is on the rear so long as it's equal or larger. This was my theory and has put into practice many of times because of the unpredictable scenarios the public street has to offer. My car would in no way be in the same condition as it is today if I ran squared in those specific conditions.

There is for still enough RWHP to initiate oversteer even with a wider rear when pushed to the limit. I can still brake oversteer with larger rears too if I come into a sharp, fast, aggressive trail brake. Releasing the brakes gradually will gain back control so long as you didn't hit the brakes so hard you end up in a 4 tire slide. Driving on my square setup now just lets me initiate oversteer much earlier and quicker. Accelerating from a stop (especially with a slight corner) on an uneven surface plays havoc with traction control on a thinner rear tire compared to a staggered setup.
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

Quote Originally Posted by nk_zhp View Post
    I find the car with the square setup to be so much more enjoyable to drive around twisty roads. I think 30mm stagger is too much for a ~240 HP car. I too was looking to reduce my rears to a 235 width to bring it closer to the front. 225 over 8.5 wheels is too stretchy I think.
    i would be interested to see how the 225 fits on the rear wheel. what kind of stretch actually occurs with it.

"Too stretchy"- this got me thinking of Vdub guys, i'm not sure they think anything is "too stretched" on their cars.

I think it depends on the tire. 225/40/18 on the front 135M wheels looked pretty flush and 265/30 on the rear looked flush when I had those. They were Falken 452s.
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

For years I've been running (on stock 135s) 235 front with the 255 rears. I went with this for a bit more meat to offset the M3 front sway I installed to limit corner dive. Still a bit of understeer on stock suspension, but crazy flat and managable (with PS2s, for the past 4 years?), and the rims of the front wheels are much more protected. I've been considering a squar rear setup, but my wife drives the car most of the time now, so she may not know how to deal with it in extremes (coming from a Pathfinder). Maybe I need a set of rears to mount for when I drive it? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by RSPDiver View Post
    For years I've been running (on stock 135s) 235 front with the 255 rears. I went with this for a bit more meat to offset the M3 front sway I installed to limit corner dive. Still a bit of understeer on stock suspension, but crazy flat and managable (with PS2s, for the past 4 years?), and the rims of the front wheels are much more protected. I've been considering a squar rear setup, but my wife drives the car most of the time now, so she may not know how to deal with it in extremes (coming from a Pathfinder). Maybe I need a set of rears to mount for when I drive it? :-)
    Does your wife drive it to the limit/edge? If not, squares will be fine for when you drive it. I'm switching mine to squares.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

If by "limit" you mean daycare, work, and the grocery store, then yes! :-)

I guess my objection is mod dollars on a car I drive maybe one day a week. Yet I still love the car enough that I want to go FI with it? Lottery is what I need.

My car is set up this way, and I did not even realize it when I bought it. My handling is superb. When I got my wheels refinished, the guy noticed that two tires were a bit more difficult to take off the rim. He said it was because they were the wrong size and should have been wider.

I have since switched back to the staggered setup, only because that is what the manual calls for. I'm kinda a "follow the manual" nut

Not sure if this is really helpful but I just got a set of 235/40/18's for the rear of my car. They fit great and give a little more sidewall which I like. I bought this car less than a month ago and it had 4 almost brand new Michelins on it. Thanks to a pot hole and bad luck, I have had to replace 3 of them.

Check out my youtube channel for all kinds of E46 DIY's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
    Check out my BMW Blog
    http://smolckbmw.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on twitter @smolck

nike001 Guest
    TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Since you're going with a sidewall thats a bit bigger than stock spec, I'm unsure if this would affect your speedo or not.

My contribution to this thread is that today I saw a ZHP with 225 all around on stock spec rims (8"F & 8.5"R) and the rears looked a bit stretched. Definitely not noticeable unless you're looking for it. If anyone is in my area, I'll gladly trade you my 8" fronts for your 8.5" rears. I've been looking to run 225 squared.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast