Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Kumho Ecsta 4x All Season Ultra High Performance All Season Tires

Recently installed these on the ZHP. After driving last winter on summer tires, I was ready to give some all seasons a try.

Use Parameters: This car won't be tracked, so I wasn't worried about track grip. The ZHP sees use all year (with the exception of the few days when we have snow-covered roadways). I am a spirited driver-- not hard on the brakes, but definitely like pushing through the corners and twisties.

Decision Points: Used the following priorities in order-- 1) cost 1a) grip 2) steering response 3) straight line tracking 4) Comfort/road noise

After doing a ton of research, I settled on these tires based in large part on the video review I saw on TireRack.com.

Use so far: About 150 miles of mixed-condition driving. I've driven local roads and highway in the rain and on dry pavement.

Initial impressions: First off, tires are significantly quieter than either the Bridgestone Potenza RE040s that they replaced or the Ventus V4s that I had on the 325i. They also offer a slightly more comfortable ride.

Steering response is immediate-- exactly what I expected after the TireRack review.

Straight line tracking and center line feel is also very good with no wandering or tramlining.

Dry grip is very, very good-- especially for an all season tire with a UTQG treadwear grade of 420. These are fun tires and really feel like summer tires to me.

Wet grip is impressive as well-- I took a wide-lane highway off ramp in the rain last night and purposely pushed her to the point of traction-break. Took a lot of effort on my part to get her to break loose-- very happy here.

All this being said, it's very early. I'll follow up on this after a few thousand miles with some updated information.

As a side note for anyone who is thinking about these, Kumho is offering a $50 rebate on the purchase of four tires until the end of November.

Update: December 14, 2011, 2,500 miles on tires

Just wanted to share my thoughts after a few months and a few thousand miles.

I am extremely satisfied with these tires. Dry and wet traction remains very good, and the ride comfort and noise level are unchanged. I have noticed no change in grip now that the temps have been down in the 20s at night.

Still waiting for the first light snow just to see how they do, although I typically just leave her garaged when there's snow on the ground.

Also a quick share on wheel alignment-- I passed on an alignment when I bought these. My previous set had uneven inner-shoulder wear, but I attributed that to bad CABs.

Well, 2,500 in on these and I eyeballed the tread wear-- looked good. Took a tire tread depth gauge to them just to make sure, and sure as sh^t, i had a about 1/32 extra wear on the inner shoulder.

Next set, I'll just get an alignment when I get the tires (like I should have done this time).

Update: August 2013, 16,000 miles on tires

Just a quick update.

I'm around 16k miles on these now. Just checked the tread depth:

Fronts are at 9/32 (started at 10.5/32), rears are at 7/32 (started at 11/32). Tires are wearing evenly meaning I'm still looking at plenty of life in these things.

Couldn't be happier with these tires.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Good news.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

150 miles? Keith...drive more, faster! What was your out the door price on these btw?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman View Post
    150 miles? Keith...drive more, faster! What was your out the door price on these btw?

KG gets baller pricing.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman View Post

Haha-- I'm trying, brother!

My out-the-door won't apply, as I had a hook at my local installer and was owed a favor.

TireRack.com for tires and shipping, plus $25 per tire for install and balance would have totaled $772 less $50 mail-in rebate.

Really digging these things so far. Will have another couple of hundred put on them by the end of the weekend.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

I was just going to ask if you got a rebate, Im definitely grabbing a set of these.

"I don't care if the door gaps are straight. When the driver steps on the gas I want him to sheet his pant's." Enzo Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    Haha-- I'm trying, brother!

My out-the-door won't apply, as I had a hook at my local installer and was owed a favor.

TireRack for tires and shipping, plus $25 per tire for install and balance would have totaled $772 less $50 mail-in rebate.

Really digging these things so far. Will have another couple of hundred put on them by the end of the weekend.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Are these AST or ASX? I've run several sets of ASXs on my e46 and on my 03 Altima 3.5 Se. The set on the Altima I got almost 60K out of them.
    "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later."

2009 Horizon Blue Mini R56 Cooper S 6spd
    2012 Pepper White Mini R56 "Justa" Cooper 6spd
    On the hunt for an e30, z3, or 318ti...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb74 View Post
    Are these AST or ASX? I've run several sets of ASXs on my e46 and on my 03 Altima 3.5 Se. The set on the Altima I got almost 60K out of them.
    Neither....

Dees: Kumho Ecsta 4X (Ultra High Performance All-Season)

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Neither....

Dees: Kumho Ecsta 4X (Ultra High Performance All-Season)
    Never heard of them and I sell abunch of different Kumhos.
    "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later."

2009 Horizon Blue Mini R56 Cooper S 6spd
    2012 Pepper White Mini R56 "Justa" Cooper 6spd
    On the hunt for an e30, z3, or 318ti...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast