Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lights on the left side are intermittent

So I posted a few days ago about my left Xenon going out. But then it came back on...then off again then back on. Now it works but then other times doesn't come on. I'll restart my car and then it will work again. I thought my bulb was dying but now the little car indicator on the dash says my left rear ligh is out. However, it doesn't seem to be. I was wondering if this was a fuse problem and not a bad headlight/tailight?

What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieZHP View Post
    So I posted a few days ago about my left Xenon going out. But then it came back on...then off again then back on. Now it works but then other times doesn't come on. I'll restart my car and then it will work again. I thought my bulb was dying but now the little car indicator on the dash says my left rear ligh is out. However, it doesn't seem to be. I was wondering if this was a fuse problem and not a bad headlight/tailight?

What do you guys think?
    Try to switch the HID bulb first to see if that is the bulb problem. If not the bulb problem, that should be you xenon ignitor is gone. Get one from ebay for about 50 bucks. It will solve your intemittent Xenon light problem. Regarding the faulty tail light, you need to reinforce the ground wire in the tail light panel. That wire is too thin and it will burn out easy. So go to buy a wire and re-wire the ground to the light panel with a wire clip.

Good lookin out Doctor.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by drfreeman View Post
    Try to switch the HID bulb first to see if that is the bulb problem. If not the bulb problem, that should be you xenon ignitor is gone. Get one from ebay for about 50 bucks. It will solve your intemittent Xenon light problem. Regarding the faulty tail light, you need to reinforce the ground wire in the tail light panel. That wire is too thin and it will burn out easy. So go to buy a wire and re-wire the ground to the light panel with a wire clip.
    Spot on! This is exactly what I was told yesterday by my mechanic as well. I've already fixed the taillight. Now just need to fix the igniter.

Thanks
    -Chris-

2003 ZHP Sedan - Jet Black on Sand - SOLD

spencers Guest
    So, the ground issue was fixed, yet the xenon lamp is still acting up??

Quote Originally Posted by spencers View Post
    So, the ground issue was fixed, yet the xenon lamp is still acting up??
    Well so far it hasn't but I didn't assume that fixing the ground wire to the taillight would fix the xenon as well. I thought it was a bad igniter. I'll look into it though. Would anything else cause the xenon to not always turn on?
    -Chris-

spencers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieZHP View Post
    Well so far it hasn't but I didn't assume that fixing the ground wire to the taillight would fix the xenon as well. I thought it was a bad igniter. I'll look into it though. Would anything else cause the xenon to not always turn on?
    The ballast could be culprit as well.

The tail lamp grounding fix should solve the xenon issue, at least from what I've read in the past. Odd, huh?

Little update. The left side xenon still only turns on sometimes. It takes me 2-4 times of turning the lights on and off to get it to turn on. I think it might be the igniter. Any other thoughts?
    -Chris-

spencers Guest
    Did you swap the ballasts to see if it follows? You could even swap the igniters to see if the problem follows.

Haven't done the ballast yet. I'm guessing the igniters are cheaper so I might go ahead and replace that and see if it fixes the issue. Is it easiest to get one at the dealer or is there a cheap oem one online besides eBay? I looked around a little but had no luck.
    -Chris-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast