Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lighting

Lighting

So whats the deal with the headlights ? Very disappointed with the poor quality of illumination.I did some quick surfing on the subject and found that there are a lot of opinions on what can be done to improve it. I would appreciate some thoughts from fellow Mafia members, thanks .

I bet you gots ZKW's....

If you do the reflective coating on the bowls has probably baked off. This does not happen on the counterpart brand, AL (American Lighting). Some cars got the good ones, and some didn't. I do not know what the difference in the coating is and I do not know how to dtermine which cars got them, and why.

I do know you can identify which ones you have by looking at the sticker on top of the headlight.

Last edited by danewilson77; 12-20-2010 at 03:43 PM.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

If you have the ZKW's, suck to be you.
    I have them, and surely enough; sucks to be me.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I posted something decently long about this last week. When I get off the cell phone and to the laptop, ill direct you to it. I had zkw's and have replaced them. More to come
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Here is my post. Most of it applies to you, although some may not. If you have zkw xenons, then dane was right. Yu may have burnt bowls, which is what i had. I replaced my with depo p46s. I can give you a lot more info if you want. Just let me know.

Ok, i can help you on this because i have already done this myself, and can give you a lot of pointers on headlights. First, for your fogging i would start with a new seal. That is easy to do and should be cheap.

Now, let me delve into the xenon, bi-xenon, and p46 depos.

1. You have bi-xenons. It means there is a shutter inside your xenon lamp that flips it from regular to super bright. Its like keeping your hand over part of a flashlight, then taking your hand away. This is what you have, and hence the "bi" part of bi-xenon. The inside halogen lamps serve two purposes. first, DRl or daytime running lights. i have mine turned off, i think like you. Second, they are your "flash to pass" lights, so when you pull the high beam stalk back towards yourself while driving, these will light up.

2. Pre-2004 cars have xenon lights. They do not have the shuttering feature, so when you push the stalk forward for high beams, it turns on the halogen bulbs in these cars. They also have the flash to pass feature with the halogen too. This is the difference in xenon vs bi-xenon.

3. Projector p46 lights. Also called depo lights. These are total light assemblies that come pre-wired from the factory (china). They are pretty simple plug and play. They also come with angel eyes of varying sizes and styles. we will get into that in a minute. first, the lights themselves. These are XENON lights. NOT bi-xenons. Because your car is already wired for Bi-xenons, you do not have to worry about error codes, code cancelling adapters, or anything else. What you do have to worry about is that your car will still think they are bi-xenons. When you push your stalk forward into the "bright light" position, nothing will happen. However, you will still have high beams when you pull the stalk back towards you in the Flash to pass mode. You can hold the stalk back and your halogens will stay on (along with the xenons). This may cause some concern at inspection time, but i am not sure. Most mechanics i talk to say as long as they see the brights come on, thats all they need. I have heard rumors of other stories (ie not passing inspection) so i dont know. My lights are exactly a year old now, so soon i will be able to tell you what the deal is in NC. Now, the simple solution to all of this would be to have the car flashed to make it think it has xenons. This is what i was told to do by the sales rep who sold me the lights. HOWEVER, this is NOT AN OPTION. for some reason, this "backwards" flash is impossible.

Now, the angel eyes come in all styles and colors and brightnesses. I chose the standard angel eyes that come with the depos. No upgrades at all. I like the classic "orangish" look of the xenons on early 2000 5 series, and this is what those angel eyes look like. If you like the new super-bright ones on the new 3 series, then you can get those. They will come installed, but you will have to wire them up yourself. There are a multitude of ways to wire them in. Mine went through the aux line, so the eyes stay lit for about 10 seconds after the car is shut off. Some people wire them to the door light, so they come on when you hit the unlock button. Some people wire them into the parking lights (but they will blink with your blinker like this). Mine stay on all the time. It is what i wanted. You can see my depos if you look at the ZHP MAFIA logo at the top of the site. That is my front end. I also have some color pics i can send. And, as always, let me know if i can help further.

David

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

I also remember reading something about the horizontal line across one of the lenses... I have forgotten what it was supposed to mean...
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

Quote Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
    I also remember reading something about the horizontal line across one of the lenses... I have forgotten what it was supposed to mean...
    ??? Dnt know. Bosch lenses have three (i think?) lines across the lenses themselves, but the xenons also have a "cutoff line" that you can see in the distance when you drive which i believe is to keep from blinding the cars in front of you.

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

I looked this weekend and I have the ZKW's, though I an not having problems yet. Mine has a logo on the lense at the inner bottom corner by the grilles.
    Lance
    Autobahn South
    S/ASH
    My car finds your lack of faith disturbing

Mtnman, how are the depos? I currently have halogens and looking to upgrade to some OEM AL's or a set of DEPO's with HID's.

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
    -Alex

I like my depos so far. Obviously, a set of al oem xenons would be better in some cases, but for the price diffence which could be over 1000 different, i am satisfied with them. They are bright and have held up so far. I have had them almost exaclty a year now. No major issues. The depos dont have the auto levelor in them, but i dont think that function would work for you even if you got the ALs, ......but im not positive on that. Ans they have the angel eyes, which would be another hundo on top of the oem ALS. Id be happy to answer any other questions you have.
    David

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast