Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reasonable labor costs?

So I'm trying to put together a list of maintenance items I want to address so that I can start pricing what it would cost for a good local shop to perform everything. I'm calling around and getting some pretty steep labor cost quotes. Maybe it's just BMWs/German cars in general but it all seems overpriced to me.

For example, I just got quoted $350 in labor for the VCG in addition to $400 for the VANOS. They wanted $216 in labor for FCABs (in addition to which they strongly advised an alignment and "sterring sensor calibration" which I have not heard of, $190 and $100 respectively). They also not so politely informed me that all service would not be warrantied by the shop since parts would be supplied by me and not them.

All of that seems really high. I mean the VCG is like a $30 part, you're telling me it costs $350 to install? Please. So for someone who realistically has zero chance of ever DIY'ing something like a VANOS unit or suspension bushings, are these reasonable? And more importantly, what's a non-mechanic to do? Besides be a baller of course. I have a couple more shops to call but I'm not expecting much variance. Also it seems that there's not much point to buying the parts myself a bit cheaper if none of the work done is going to be guaranteed. I want to keep this car tip top for years to come so any advice is appreciated!
    --Wes--

04 330i ZHP Oxford Green/Natural Brown
    04 330Ci ZHP Silvergrey/Alcantara (RIP)

Yes the prices are high, but unless you have a good rep with a tech in your area that you use regularly, it will be difficult to find someone to do this work without paying substantially. In your area find someone you're comfortable and certified to work on our non-special cars (ZHP). Build a relationship with the tech and try to pay attention to detail about the work being done. The tech will be familiar with your car and his work and will likely (if he's good) give you discounts for returning to his shop consistantly. You can always use us on this site to ask questions before you go out to your tech and that way you won't feel that you're being taken advantage of.

you can also ask other members on this site if they may know someone in your area that can do the work.

As far as pricing $216 is fair for the CABS for labor, should be around $150-185 for the alignment if it's laser. Most shops won't warrant labor for parts brought in by customer best way is to see if the shop carrys thiose same part or if they can order them just make sure they charge you fairly for parts.
    GL

Quote Originally Posted by webster View Post
    what's a non-mechanic to do? Besides be a baller of course.
    Frankly? Forget about owning BMWs, or plant a money tree. This is a seemingly jerk answer, but it is a pretty inevitable conclusion that I've seen a lot of people realize over my years on BMW forums. BMW/german/european cars will always command high labor rates for work, justified or not. Shops hear "BMW" and their mouths start to water. If you don't have the capability, you'll just have to pay to play, and there's no way around that.

From my chair, your options are:

- find a local/indie/mom'n'pop that does good work for reasonable rates that you can live with in perpetuity, but this will obviously be tough. like imola said, talk to local folks and see if they have recommendations.

- I've talked this up to you before, but I am a staunch advocate of DIY. VCG is an EXCELLENT first DIY project. VANOS is a little hairy for a first shot, but maybe a local member can come by and lend a hand. CABs are easy DIY territory too. I know i say this everywhere, but for the money you'll spend on labor, you can buy all the tools you need to do this work and then some. Just for these three parts you're talking $966 in labor. That's a jack, jackstands, 3 jaw pullers, vice, vice liners, electric impact, RTV, and even then if you don't have space for these tools (apartment or something) that would still cover one year's rental on a storage unit to keep it all in. This is such a no brainer to me but I understand not everyone feels the same.

No warranty for parts you bring in is standard. They get butthurt about this because it takes away their chance to make margin on the parts.

thanks for your replies. i guess i will just have to start budgeting and saving for some of this stuff. part of me thinks i'm wanting to do too much in the first couple months of ownership. i mean i only got the car in august and look at all the stuff i've already done to it, both mods and preventive maintenance. i'm not even to 53k yet so i still have time for a lot of this stuff.

as far as DIY goes, i would love to learn more about how to work on these cars. i am excited by every little DIY i complete, it instills confidence. but when it comes to engine/suspension, i get pretty timid. it would definitely help to have someone with a lot of experience show me the ropes. you guys know anyone down here? lol
    --Wes--

04 330i ZHP Oxford Green/Natural Brown
    04 330Ci ZHP Silvergrey/Alcantara (RIP)

In the sticks in Parker County Texas (WNW of Ft. Worth)
    Now you see why a lot of people won't buy BMW's, MB and Porsche's. It's not that they can't afford them, it's because they feel they're paying extortion money to get them repaired. There's good reason BMW leases far surpass sales.

That said, almost all marquees are expensive to maintain these days. My dealer charges $110 per hr. My wife's VW dealer (same auto group) pays $105. My Harley shop charges $110! lol Go figure.

As far as the time to service, at a BMW dealership that's generaly always by the book. Whatever amount of time BMW's manual says it should take to replace a part, that's what the dealer is going to charge. I suspect that's the same everywhere these days, save for indy shops.

As far as warrantying (sp?) parts brought in by a customer, yep that's how it goes. Gotta see it their way; they have no idea where you bought it (think "Ebay"), if it's been dropped or damaged in some way that's undetectable to the human eye, if the manufacturer will still be around to honor the warranty, etc. I'm pretty sure all dealerships of all marquees have the same policy and many if not most, won't even install aftermarket parts. As a rule my dealer won't, although I'm sure there are some customers other than myself that have been doing business with them for years who they will sometimes make an exception, but that's generally for non-critical parts like lense replacements, radios, etc. Not brake kits, superchargers, and so on.

Rusty

Casey BMW = $135/hr.

We win! Wait.....

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I'm still trying to find a shop that will let me pay in beer and burgers, no luck yet

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    I'm still trying to find a shop that will let me pay in beer and burgers, no luck yet
    Funny, that's the only currency that Uncle Keith's E46 Shop accepts.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    Funny, that's the only currency that Uncle Keith's E46 Shop accepts.

As well as Diamond Danes Wonderhouse garage.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Autozone.com
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    As well as Diamond Danes Wonderhouse garage.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    LOVE that place.

-Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast