Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fuel additives?

Monky:
    i have never used sea foam and never seen the need for it. So i can't comment - I think it's a dual action product, and affects fuel AND oil (and can be used in oil), so that's why the OC afterwards, I think. Many horror stories about hydro locking engines, too...
    I don't see the need to use a product like that where i have to feed stuff through brake lines, and go into all that, and risk something, etc.

If you use good gas, drive the car at hwy speed at least once a week and do general good fuel practices, I think a normal fuel additive is all you need once in a while...might not need one at all, really - but it doesn't hurt, so i do it when i think of it - not in any regular interval, but probably roughly every 10-15k miles on our cars, neither of which ever had a fuel/injector related problem.

Regular Fuel additives like the ones I listed have no effect on oil, and they DO NOT go in oil - only in gas tank. So there's no need for oil changes afterwards (unless your engine has a serious problem of oil/gas mixing) - so just put the recommended amount into an almost empty gas, fill up, and you're done.
    I have NEVER heard of any of those regular additives thinning out oil or anything like that - they're strictly in the fuel.
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

I think I'm going to pick up a bottle of the Bk 44K or Chevron Techron additive and run it through once this tank is almost empty.
    -Chris-

2003 ZHP Sedan - Jet Black on Sand - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
    BMW fuel additive IS Chevron Techron fuel additive, re-labeled by BMW hence the exact same bottle.
    I use it about every 10k miles, roughly.

Chvron/BMW, Gumout Regane and Redline SI-1 and one 3M additive
    (forget name) are the only fuel additives that has a decent amount of active ingredient (PEA) in them - all others are not worth it.
    The RL Si1 has the added function of being an UCL.

Those are the only 4 additives I'd ever use in any car i own.

More info:

I don't know the differences in composition, but the Red Line fuel product looks and smells the same as Marvel Mystery Oil

Monky:
    i have never used sea foam and never seen the need for it. So i can't comment - I think it's a dual action product, and affects fuel AND oil (and can be used in oil), so that's why the OC afterwards, I think. Many horror stories about hydro locking engines, too...
    I don't see the need to use a product like that where i have to feed stuff through brake lines, and go into all that, and risk something, etc.

If you use good gas, drive the car at hwy speed at least once a week and do general good fuel practices, I think a normal fuel additive is all you need once in a while...might not need one at all, really - but it doesn't hurt, so i do it when i think of it - not in any regular interval, but probably roughly every 10-15k miles on our cars, neither of which ever had a fuel/injector related problem.

Regular Fuel additives like the ones I listed have no effect on oil, and they DO NOT go in oil - only in gas tank. So there's no need for oil changes afterwards (unless your engine has a serious problem of oil/gas mixing) - so just put the recommended amount into an almost empty gas, fill up, and you're done.
    I have NEVER heard of any of those regular additives thinning out oil or anything like that - they're strictly in the fuel.
    Ok, thanks.

I just didn't know if the formulas needed you to change or clean anything afterwards

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Techron is a fuel injector cleaner and has been recommended by BMW for a long time. It is in both Chevron and Texaco fuel, tho in what concentration is anyone's guess.

Check out the Fall 2011 Bavauto newsletter article on Liqui Moly products. You'll find the German engine tests interesting. You can download it HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by aurelius View Post
    Techron is a fuel injector cleaner and has been recommended by BMW for a long time. It is in both Chevron and Texaco fuel, tho in what concentration is anyone's guess.

Check out the Fall 2011 Bavauto newsletter article on Liqui Moly products. You'll find the German engine tests interesting. You can download it HERE.
    Good stuff. Thanks for posting.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

BMW fuel additive IS Chevron Techron fuel additive, re-labeled by BMW hence the exact same bottle.
    I use it about every 10k miles, roughly.
    Thanks for the backup Wash. My memory is a little foggy so I wasn't about to make that connection without some help.

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    Good stuff. Thanks for posting.
    +1

thinking of picking up the liqui moly kit for my next oil change
    --Wes--

04 330i ZHP Oxford Green/Natural Brown
    04 330Ci ZHP Silvergrey/Alcantara (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieZHP View Post
    So I went out and purchased a bottle of Sea Foam yesterday only to read that it should be used right before an oil change. Well I just got my oil changed and now I'm not due for 15k so guess the Sea Foam will be put on the shelf until then. Will other injector cleaners thin out the oil or is it just the Sea Foam?
    First, I recommend you change your oil every 5,000-7,500 miles, not the 15k miles BMW states.

Second, it's been my experience to change the oil 20-50 miles after running seafoam through the car. I have run seafoam just through just the gas tank, and also divided it between the gas and intake. Changed the oil after both of these occasions. I recommend putting the seafoam on the self and just run an injector cleaner through with your next gas fill-up. I've used STP fuel injector with no problems.

Please visit my build page here, on CarDomain.

Ryan, normally I do change it every 7500 however I used some German Pento 5w-40 oil and my mechanic swears that it is ok to go 15k with it. I was unsure about it but I trust him as he has worked with my famiy for 10+ years. We'll see how it goes and I'll check it periodically but the plan as of now is 15k.

Does no one else run it for 15k? I know it's cleaner to do shorter intervals and that's what I've always done in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris-

2003 ZHP Sedan - Jet Black on Sand - SOLD

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast