Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lug Bolt>Lug Stud DIY doityourself

At Dane's urging, I will post up a brief DIY for conversion from BMW lug bolts to a Lug stud conversion.

First off, do this at your own risK! Be sure to properly support your vehicle at all times.(NO EXCEPTIONS!).

Ok, Install is pretty strait forward. First get your new wheel studs (I used Turner Motorsports) as they race BMW's and are experts in wheel fitament and spacers.

They make studs in varying lengths, I choose 90mm because I run KW V1 coilovers and am also using 12.5 mm spacers (also from TMS). The 90mm do stick out a bit on the wheels, I like the look! If you think it will bother you, or you are not lowered and running spacers the 75mm will probably be fine (please confirm with mfg)

Get the car in the air, remove the wheel. Next line up all your new wheel studs and put a dab (just a dab) of locktite on each stud (loctite came with my order from TMS). Use the correct size allen wrench to secure the stud where the old bolt was. They will bottom out once properly tightened.
    Re install your wheels and put on your new Lug nuts!
    (don't use old ones (nuts) as they distort and stretch!)

I torque mine to 100 ft pounds.

Hope this helps those that my be considering the change.

Cost for me was about $50.00 per wheel. (new studs and lug bolts)

As a FYI............I used Turner for both my spacers and new lug bolts because of the knowledgeable people I spoke with on the phone, they seemed interested in my business and were willing to answer all my questions.

Gary
    Last edited by GMATT; 10-26-2011 at 05:36 PM.

Gary
    2004 ZHP Coupe TiAg 6mt
    "I never said it was special"

Thanks, Gary! Will be looking to do this next summer
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Thank You
    straight forward, and simple
    THE ANGRY TOMATO

Gary...you mention not to use the old ones as they distort and stretch? What are you referring to here?

Also....car, to car, to car, the 90mm studs should stick out the same, regardless of spacers, because you're tapping into the hub. Is my.thinking flawed here? With spacers...less threads will be exposed though, correct?

Last question....what are the length options?

Thanks for the writeup.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Dane.............
    In my case, when I installed the new lug bolts and then spacers(12.5mm) you see 12.5mm less bolt on the face of the wheel.

Turner sells 75mm and 90mm studs, other manufactures may sell other sizes. I went with Turner because of their reputation in the BMW community.

Gary
    2004 ZHP Coupe TiAg 6mt

Quote Originally Posted by GMATT View Post
    Dane.........................Turner says not to reuse the old lug nuts as they "may" stretch.
    In my case, when I installed the new lug bolts and then spacers(12.5mm) you see 12.5mm less bolt on the face of the wheel.

Turner sells 75mm and 90mm studs, other manufactures may sell other sizes. I went with Turner because of their reputation in the BMW community.
    Gary....what old lug nuts?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Sorry..............American car brain fart! Please be sure to use NEW lug nuts with your install!

Gary
    2004 ZHP Coupe TiAg 6mt

Quote Originally Posted by GMATT View Post
    Sorry..............American car brain fart! Please be sure to use NEW lug nuts with your install!
    Lol....ok. just thought I was missing something. Thanks again....

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

nike001 Guest
    Am I the only one who likes the studs?

I like them. I might do it at some point. I just have other stuff that benefits me more as I only change wheels to winters and back so not too often. I think it requires a certain "look" as well. Personally I feel like they would look out of place on a bone stock zhp, especially the 90mm ones. I wouldn't want mine to stick out as much. Not sure if I'd like them on the 135's since they look so clean already but I think they'd look good with my enkei wheels!

-Chris-

2003 ZHP Sedan - Jet Black on Sand - SOLD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast