Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Does anyone know how much it costs to replace vanos?

My engine base has bin making a rattling noise , and I think the vanos needs to be replaced. Does anyone know how much it would cost if i went to a shop to get it fixed. My car has 94k on it right now i think its about time to fix that

Look at Beisan Systems, you prob don't need a new VANOS. You probably just need to repair it

http://www.beisansystems.com/index.html
    Last edited by Hermes; 10-26-2011 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    Look at Beisan Systems, you prob don't need a new VANOS. You probably just need to repair it

http://www.beisansystems.com/index.html
    Or Dr. vanos. I highly recommend DIY though.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Yeah a shop is going to charge you a good amount in labor - probably somewhere in the vicinity of 400-500 dollars to simply perform the labor. Plus, they will probably not use any updated seals, so the problem will soon return.

Your best bet is to either use Beisan Systems or Dr. Vanos and DIY, or purchase the Dr. Vanos and have a shop install it for you. For clarification, the Beisan Systems requires you to remove your VANOS unit and rebuild the seals yourself. For Dr. Vanos, you purchase a unit with the updated seals already installed, and then you simply switch them out and return the old one for a core charge.

I reckon it shouldn't take you much longer than a solid Saturday or Sunday. Kind of like doing a timing belt on an E30.

FWIW it may also be your DISA valve chattering since the plastic keyhole tends to wear down and allow excess movement. Thankfully it's an easy thing to check/fix. Had a rattling that I was worried was VANOS but was just a loose butterfly valve in the DISA.

Here's a vid stolen from Focal_E46:

Brief Inspection of it and how it's supposed to work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNJ7qUa_FbU

And how to fix it if it's bad:

Free > Rebuilding VANOS

Data Point #7: Shops will typically not rebuild your VANOS. They will replace it with a re-manufactured unit (~$900).
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

i'm leaning towards buying the Dr Vanos kit and having a shop install it. Total cost for the new Vanos + labor (minus core charge for original Vanos unit from Dr Vanos) will be approx $600-$700. and that's not including the valve cover gasket, which should be done at the same time if not done already (add another $400 for parts and labor, although apparently the VCG is not too hard of a DIY if you're feeling ambitious).
    --Wes--

04 330i ZHP Oxford Green/Natural Brown
    04 330Ci ZHP Silvergrey/Alcantara (RIP)

Damn, I wish you lived by me. I could save you about $500.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT