Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Signature pictures -- resizing request -- 450x200

Guys, some of our signature pictures are getting pretty large. I want to propose something. I'd like to bring the size of our signatures down a bit.

I also think that pages would load up more quickly if we had smaller pictures in our signatures. But maybe I'm wrong on that point. Perhaps picture size doesn't affect that. Chime in if you have a definitive answer.

What's more, and this is something I will start doing for my own account, when I post a comment in a thread, I will allow my first post to have a signature picture. From then on, I will making sure that I do not include my signature picture again in the same thread.

Personally, I care more about this site loading as quickly as possible. I hate waiting for the site to load. Generally, our site is pretty fast but there are times -- especially in the morning -- when I get a little annoyed by load times (even though it's not exactly slow).

I think that Botond actually has a nice-sized signature picture. But I realize that might be a bit small for most people. See the size of my new signature below (it's 350x232). I'm thinking that, if you could try to keep it about that size, we would all have a better experience around here.

I have limited the signature size to 450x200. That should work pretty well. For those of you who have larger signatures now -- because you were here before the size restriction went into place -- would you mind readjusting the signature size to confirm with the new parameters?

Thanks, guys.

I was waiting for this one. And completely agree for whatever it's worth.
    -ADAM

And it's my understanding that signature pictures only hog bandwidth once. After that, it's a RAM issue. So, reducing signature pictures here will really just reduce the amount of clutter that members have to wade through.

You guys know -- KNOW -- how much I love seeing pictures of my own car. But I'm thinking that my neighbors (all of you guys) don't appreciate seeing it in every post. Also, my signature was getting a bit big, so I apologize for that.

Next week I will manually change the parameters for signature pictures. I am thinking that 400x250 should work.

I doubt many of you guys will care about this change. We all come here for content and camaraderie. We don't come here to look at signature pics.

Under the new restrictions, the right side would get cut off by about 50 pixels. So, you're very close already.

400 pixels wide by 250 pixels tall. That should be a good happy medium.

I know most sites don't even bother consulting their membership. I'm different. We're a small community. I want you guys to have input. I also respect you guys, which is why I bother mentioning this stuff in the first place.

My goal at the site is content first, followed by the speed by which we navigate the site. Anything to make the experience better here is what my goal is.

I agree about the size limitations, but I'm not sure if I can agree with not including the signature in every post.
    I use signatures constantly to reference certain members' posts, and to have easy visual reference as to where I am in the thread. Without the signature pictures, it makes it much more difficult to reference posts and where you are in the thread.

Besides, shrinking the sig pic sizes should alleviate a small portion of the bandwidth problem.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Yeah. I think that's right, BP. I'll be including my signature in each post. Doing a little reading, it does not look like an issue with a signature in each post. The bigger problem is the large signatures in general.

Most forums I'm on end up putting the restrictions in place when you upload the sig pic in the user panel. bfc for example gives you an area to work with and if your pic or text is larger than that area, it just cuts it off.

That's correct, Eli. I would be doing the same thing. I can limit the size from the admin control panel.

With my new sig pic, I went wider than your pic Marcus but also went shorter than yours.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast