Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

ZHPMafia.com in October

Since closing down the forum to new registrations, some 13 days ago, it's been remarkably odd around here.

As everyone knows, or should know, we've always been very particular about the kinds of members we want. If you were still here on the day we closed registration, you could take that as indication that you fit in. The Mafia Family rules, in other words, were something you likely didn't have a problem following.

Imagine my surprise, then, when I started to notice an uptick in behavior that you wouldn't expect here. Since closing registration, I've terminated about 60 members. Some of them were unknown to you guys because they never posted. Instead, they were in a special category of members who had every post moderated by me. Some of them attempted to post but their messages couldn't pass muster with you guys. Therefore, they were terminated. My goal has always been to make this a drama-free place. Putting potential miscreants in a special box was my way of shielding you guys from the circus- and animal-like atmosphere that exists on other forums.

The moderators at ZHPMafia.com have also been very proactive about making sure that rude and insensitive comments are few and far between around the forum. It's a balancing act, though. We don't want to be heavy handed but we also don't want things to get out of hand. To say the least, it's been a challenge to balance those two ideas.

So, even though we don't tolerate boorish, rude, unprofessional behavior around here, we do our best to make sure that the membership is unaffected when it does occur. Moderators are quick to delete posts and follow up with members who we think may need a reminder of what this forum is all about. I'd guess that 98% of the time, it only takes one note. The member gets our message and returns to being a valuable member. However, that's not always the case.

Some members require reminder after reminder. It's gets to the point that these members become high maintenance. They're so frequently in need of reminders and corrective action that members even notice and comment about it (in private messages we receive). Which leads me to today's post.

Two weeks ago, I wrote this: "Likewise, and unfortunately, some of our own may one day stray. A handful of you may feel the need to be disruptive down the road. Even with private messages from me, reminding you of the family atmosphere and friendly tone of the site, you'll continue to behave in a way that does not fit in here. Once I realize that no amount of corrective action will work, you'll be terminated. I won't create a post letting everyone know. You'll just disappear. It's my hope that no one ever gets to that point. As far as I can tell, and if I had to make a prediction, I'd guess that it's not going to happen. But you never know. At least, though, I am on record for putting my thoughts out there about the possibility (and what consequences exist if it does happen)."

I'm sorry to report that I've already been proven wrong. A handful of people have not only been banned, they've been deleted. They'll never return here. Unlike other forums that temporarily ban members (for 7 to 10 days at a time), we don't do that here. Instead, we try to correct issues by gently but firmly dealing with the issues behind the scenes. All the while, the offending members are permitted to post. We've found that to be a great way of working with people. It doesn't put anyone on the spot. We don't want to embarrass our members. And if you do receive a personal note from a moderator, please don't be offended. The note is not meant to offend. We're just trying to give you the courtesy of a reminder (in a private manner). Our goal is to work with you behind the scenes.

Anyhow, if you do notice that someone has been terminated, please understand that the termination is a reflection of our belief that no amount of corrective action could be achieved with the terminated member. In some cases, we may have sent ten messages to the member. In other cases, we may have sent four. It's rare that someone will do something so egregious that they'll be terminated for their first offense (though it did happen earlier this week).

Let me cut to the chase, though (I know you guys/girls have better things to do than read my lengthy note). We're a closed forum. No one else is coming in (we've had no new members in two weeks). Members are leaving, though. Because we no longer have to concentrate on making sure that new members don't create disturbances around here, we've been able to focus on our existing membership. For members who have had a checkered past around here (or a past that has required a lot of personal attention from us), I want you to understand that we have (with several of you) got to the end of the line. There won't be any more private messages for some of you. Instead, you'll just be shown the door. This is a worst-case scenario for me personally because there are a few of you who I really enjoy most of the time. I'd hate to see you go. But go you will. And because there is no petition to undo the termination, it will be permanent.

You guys all made the cut ahead of the registration closure. In many ways you've been hand selected as the type of member we're looking for. What's so odd is that the behavior issues (involving more members) have cropped up after closing the place down. You'd think that people would have done it the other way around. With no new registrations, people are now essentially receiving the death penalty. Anyhow, it is what it is.

So, please, guys/gals, let's continue to make this forum a friendly and professional place to be. Given the composition of our membership, this should not be a difficult thing to do.

Thanks.

You've given everyone enough warning boss, I think this action is only fair

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Thanks for working to keep this a "friendly and professional" place.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Thanks for working to keep this a "friendly and professional" place.
    Well said John. Thanks Boss.

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

You guys are welcome. I'm thankful to be affiliated with this forum.

I sure am gonna miss Casey.

Zebra Horse Power - PSA: The Hypermiling Thread
    Kevin Savino-Riker
    Cogito Automation, LLC.
    I'm new at BMWs.

??

Kevin, unless you're jettisoned from the crew, you won't be missing Casey. He'll be right here.

Sorry, my sense of humor is pretty deadpan; that was just supposed to be a little joke. Didn't mean to confuse anyone

Zebra Horse Power - PSA: The Hypermiling Thread
    Kevin Savino-Riker
    Cogito Automation, LLC.
    I'm new at BMWs.

Kevin, good. Wanted to make sure you weren't having issues. I thought your account got hacked.

Quote Originally Posted by RITmusic2k View Post
    I sure am gonna miss Casey.
    The skilled artist of internet destruction known as Pswirley is dead.

In his place is an articulate business owner who sees the value of building others up and creating opportunities for people where he can. The bottom line is, I am a small business owner trying to make a decent living for my family. While this forum doesn't really reach out to my target market, it is a great place to hang out and I never know who may be a potential client lurking in the shadows to see the kind of person I am outside of my regular target areas. Case in point, Mafia member Matt, who gave me the honor of flying me to Wisconsin to be his wedding photographer.

Beyond that, on several occasions, even here, I sat quietly on the sideline while a minority of people ridiculed, made underhanded comments, continuing to take little jabs and attempting to bring out the reactive side of me in an effort to get me to play their games. I did not react. The reason is two fold....

1. My business is too important to me.
    2. I found it flattering that others were putting so much effort into attempting to bring me down when I don't typically give them a second thought during the course of a day.

Long story short. As Mark said, I enjoy it here and I enjoy the members here. If I was not all in on making this forum a better place for the selected group of us who are here, I would not be writing a monthly check to have my name associated with a venue that generally does not result in business for me.

Kevin, I realize you are joking however I do find this the right thread to share this with the entire group.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast