Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Dealing with iced windows

Unfortunately, this winter being at college, I dont have the privilege of parking in a heated garage every night. This morning was the first bad frost of the year here in Blacksburg and I this morning my windows were completely iced over as well as a lot of the car. Drove to school and the temp read 27* F.

Anyways, I was wondering what you guys used to deal with the ice. Being from NC, I haven't had to deal with bad frost much before so I never used anything besides a rag to get it off. I'm definitely getting a scraper/brush to use on the windows for the snow and ice but do any of you use any sort of de-icer spray or anything like that?
    -Chris-

2003 ZHP Sedan - Jet Black on Sand - SOLD

I have always used a scraper to get the ice off. I never had any issues in the E30 with scratched windshields or anything like that. Windshield washer fluid should contain a trace of alcohol or some sort of agent/chemical that has a lower freezing temperature than water. Squirting that on hard to get ice might help. Otherwise, a little elbow grease and heat on the windshield does the trick!

Thanks. I do use a windshield washer fluid rates for very cold temps. I'm more worried about my side windows and rear window. My drive isn't long enough for the rear defroster to get anything done. And with all the kids being late for class and speeding around making dangerous choices while driving, I'd like clear windows to see where everyone is clearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris-

In the winter I ALWAYS go start my car 10-15 minutes before I want to leave. I crank the heat to full, hit both the front and rear defrost, then go back inside for awhile. When I get back outside, I scrape off any remaining ice/snow from the windshield, and rest of the windows with a scraper/brush combo. DO NOT use it on the paint or you will most definitely scratch it. Also in weather below freezing it is much better for you engine to completely warm up before you start driving.
    Kyle - Wisconsin Crew - 2001 BMW M3
    Supersprint Headers/Section 2 - Eisenmann Muffler - aFe Stage 2 Intake -
    Bilstien PSS9 Coilovers - VMR V710 (Gunmetal Powdercoat) - UUC EVO Short Shifter - ZHP Shift Knob

Yeah I definitely know about not using a scraper on the paint. My mechanic showed me a customer who's wife attacked the hood and front half of her Mercedes ML63 AMG. Wasn't pretty at all.

I try to let it warm up before I leave but sometimes, knowing us college kids, getting up 20 minutes early to do so isn't always an option haha
    -Chris-

Can BMWs be remote started with EWS?

I do know it is a bit discouraged to let your engine warm by idling, but it may be an OK compromise in this case.

Any time I had to deal with this I just got a good scraper and got the windows clean and went on my way.

I have heard that idling to warm up isn't the best idea, but then again it is probably better than driving around in stop and go traffic with an icy cold engine. Maybe i'll end up just letting it idle while I get my stuff together for say 5 mins.

And thanks for the responses about the scraper and de-ice spray. Looks like I'll grab a scraper and use that for now.
    -Chris-

Quote Originally Posted by AzkotikBMW View Post
    In the winter I ALWAYS go start my car 10-15 minutes before I want to leave. I crank the heat to full, hit both the front and rear defrost, then go back inside for awhile. When I get back outside, I scrape off any remaining ice/snow from the windshield, and rest of the windows with a scraper/brush combo. DO NOT use it on the paint or you will most definitely scratch it. Also in weather below freezing it is much better for you engine to completely warm up before you start driving.
    This isn't always the best method. Idling your car for extended periods of time can cause unburned fuel to wash down into your crankcrase, thereby diluting your oil with gasoline (not the best lubricant). Secondly, once your engine is warmed up your transmission is still really cold. It's best to bring the engine and transmission up to temperature together.

Quote Originally Posted by zj96sc View Post
    Can BMWs be remote started with EWS?

I do know it is a bit discouraged to let your engine warm by idling, but it may be an OK compromise in this case.

Any time I had to deal with this I just got a good scraper and got the windows clean and went on my way.
    I've actually been curious about looking into a remote start. Does anyone have remote start installed on their bimmer or know of any that are compatible?
    Bilstien PSS9 Coilovers - VMR V710 (Gunmetal Powdercoat) - UUC EVO Short Shifter - ZHP Shift Knob

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Paul View Post
    This isn't always the best method. Idling your car for extended periods of time can cause unburned fuel to wash down into your crankcrase, thereby diluting your oil with gasoline (not the best lubricant). Secondly, once your engine is warmed up your transmission is still really cold. It's best to bring the engine and transmission up to temperature together.

Thanks! That's good to know....so is the best way to warm it up just to drive it from a cold start? Even in say -10~20 degrees like it gets up here?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast