Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starter woes

Interesting, I have about 70,000 miles on my 04 330i. So am I correct in assuming that the clank/grind or whatever you want to call it is the starter spring hitting the flywheel because it is slow in retracting? You know, I went with a remanufactured starter, I'm starting to second guess that choice, opinions?

That's close, my understanding is that the spring retracts the solenoid which disengages the starter motor from the the starter pinion which is meshed with the ring gear of the flywheel (if that makes any sense. I'm equating the solenoid to a clutch).

If the spring wears out, it won't pull to disengage quickly enough and you'll get some gear grind during that transition (ie changing gears with the clutch only partially depressed)

Last edited by GT172I; 11-08-2011 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Found a pic

APEX ARC-8's | UUC EVO3 SSK | UUC TSE3-L | Dinan Intake | H&R sways | Meyle HD CA & FCABs | EBC Slotted Rotors
    Porterfield R4S Pads | CDV Delete | Stebel Compact Truck Horn | DICE Silverline | Misc cosmetic stuff

Quote Originally Posted by echo46 View Post
    ...You know, I went with a remanufactured starter, I'm starting to second guess that choice, opinions?
    I wouldn't be too concerned, most are remanufactured and come with a warranty and it's not some Joe in a shack just blowing the dust off and repainting them.

APEX ARC-8's | UUC EVO3 SSK | UUC TSE3-L | Dinan Intake | H&R sways | Meyle HD CA & FCABs | EBC Slotted Rotors
    Porterfield R4S Pads | CDV Delete | Stebel Compact Truck Horn | DICE Silverline | Misc cosmetic stuff

Excellant picture. That is really helpful. So is it the spring on #2 that wears out? Excuse my ignorance as this has been quite a learning experience. Thanks.

I think typically the brushes and slip rings are the wearable parts.

Not saying spring can't go bad as well, though.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Found a 3/28/11 thread where guy-David96- had same issue and guess what - it was again an 04 330i ZHP. Also, Mtnman- David reported the same noise on his -yes- an 04 330i ZHP. The plot thickens...

Found a 3/28/11 thread where guy-David96- had same issue and guess what - it was again an 04 330i ZHP. Also, Mtnman- David reported the same noise on his -yes- an 04 330i ZHP. The plot thickens...
    Lol....yes it does.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

So I got a replacement starter several weeks ago, put it in the car and since then not a single problem. Who says cars do not have feelings....

Now, whether or not to change out a working starter.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    2004 330i ZHP ESS TS2 supercharged
    Silver Grey/Black leather, Xenons, factory Nav, 19" VMR V710 & 18" ZHP wheels for summer, Turner Motorsports rear sub-frame kit

I have the same problem on cold mornings sometimes. I have an '03 325xi though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prowler--low and behold another 04 ZHP with a shot starter. Where have I heard that before?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12