Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Preparing my car for its first winter.. what to buy?

I have an idea of things I need to buy and do to my car before winter, I just wanted to see if I could get some fine-tuning by you guys in terms of whether I'm getting the right stuff:

1. Engine oil - I want to get a lighter weight so that it's thinner/less viscous during the cold temperatures. What weight should I get? What brand? It's about time I change my oil anyway so I want to get one good for the cold winters in Massachusetts.

2. Windshield wipers - I noticed that the passenger side wiper sticks out of the car, as if it's too long. At first I thought it was because I bent it somehow while lifting it, but someone commented that the wipers on these cars are too long, stock. I hear the Bosch Icons are nice.. all I really want are some silent ones. My current ones, which are stock, squeak when they're in use and they aren't very good. What are some good quiet brands/materials? What lengths do I need?

3. De-icing materials - Thinking about some de-icing spray; a plastic chisel to shave ice off; a brush to remove soft snow. Am I missing anything else?

4. Winter mats - I was thinking of just keeping my cloth mats on, but I'm already noticing the cloth discolor white from the water and dirt from the ground.. and it hasn't even snowed yet, hence, no salt! Are winter rubber mats worth it?

And finally, will I be able to find all the above goods at a local autozone?

Thanks in advance!

Edit/Unrelated to above: I went in to the dealership yesterday to test drive an m3 coupe with the competition package... omg I fell in love. I can't stop thinking about it and the V8 under full throttle.. I felt like a little bitch in my ZHP when I drove off away from the dealership lol.

1. Engine oil - I want to get a lighter weight so that it's thinner/less viscous during the cold temperatures. What weight should I get? What brand? It's about time I change my oil anyway so I want to get one good for the cold winters in Massachusetts.

Mobil I 0W-40

2. Windshield wipers - I noticed that the passenger side wiper sticks out of the car, as if it's too long. At first I thought it was because I bent it somehow while lifting it, but someone commented that the wipers on these cars are too long, stock. I hear the Bosch Icons are nice.. all I really want are some silent ones. My current ones, which are stock, squeak when they're in use and they aren't very good. What are some good quiet brands/materials? What lengths do I need?

Bosch ICON's 19(driver), 22(passenger)

3. De-icing materials - Thinking about some de-icing spray; a plastic chisel to shave ice off; a brush to remove soft snow. Am I missing anything else?

Nope - Lock de-icer?

4. Winter mats - I was thinking of just keeping my cloth mats on, but I'm already noticing the cloth discolor white from the water and dirt from the ground.. and it hasn't even snowed yet, hence, no salt! Are winter rubber mats worth it?

Get the BMW All Weather Mats - About $90 from the dealer.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Wow.. I've been on forums for a while now (not just this one) and it's really difficult to post a thread and get all your questions answered concisely and fully by the first post.

Thank you for that.

I can tell you would be a great businessman (and drug lord, lol).

If anyone else has other opinions, I am open to them as well!

Rubber door & window seal preserver/conditioner. Great product with super convenient built-in applicator. Amazon referral link:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...z%22&x=15&y=17

Quote Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post
    I have an idea of things I need to buy and do to my car before winter, I just wanted to see if I could get some fine-tuning by you guys in terms of whether I'm getting the right stuff:

And finally, will I be able to find all the above goods at a local autozone?

Thanks in advance!

Edit/Unrelated to above: I went in to the dealership yesterday to test drive an m3 coupe with the competition package... omg I fell in love. I can't stop thinking about it and the V8 under full throttle.. I felt like a little bitch in my ZHP when I drove off away from the dealership lol.
    Wipers I like the Bosch ones but I don't think they make um for the E46.
    EDIT: apparently DW is on it... nice Dane.

Winter mats you gotta go Weather tech LINERS. They help save your carpet from the slush you get into the car.
    http://www.weathertech.com/store/mvp...1372&Year=2004
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

I usually treat my door seals with a petroleum based product usually amour all or do wd40 on a rag and wipe it down... Keeps water from freezing my door shut should it get in during a driving rain otherwise sounds like you got some good ideas from the others

~Steve
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mods: Smoked corners, smoked side markers, smoked tails, 35% tint, CF kidney grills, debadged, angel eyes, 3000k HID Fogs, OBX exhaust, Sharked, solo werks S1 coilovers, front and rear strut brace, AUX cable
    "I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me"

nike001 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
    Winter mats you gotta go Weather tech LINERS. They help save your carpet from the slush you get into the car.
    http://www.weathertech.com/store/mvp...1372&Year=2004
    Woah, those are nice. Bookmarked for christmas! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by midlandtech View Post
    I usually treat my door seals with a petroleum based product usually amour all or do wd40 on a rag and wipe it down... Keeps water from freezing my door shut should it get in during a driving rain otherwise sounds like you got some good ideas from the others

~Steve
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good idea! I've had this happen too many times. A few years ago, my door froze shut on my e39 and I broke the door handle clean off from trying to open it. I had to have my passenger open my door for me.. or open the drivers side rear door and reach up to open my door from the inside. What a pain.

I'm at autozone right now looking at the Bosch icons. do I need to get 22a and 19b? What are the letters for. they even have oe as a mark too

Quote Originally Posted by midlandtech View Post
    I usually treat my door seals with a petroleum based product usually amour all or do wd40 on a rag and wipe it down...
    Petroleum-based stuff on plastic & rubber = no bueno.

http://www.1z-usa.com/car_plastic_and_tire_care.html

Dane,
    Are you sure of your wiper blade sizes? The sizes the store tells me is 23 (driver) and 20 (passenger). I bought Rain-X Latitudes, and since the store doesn't carry 23 on the shelf, I bought a 24. It was a perfect fit.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast