Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Replacing BMW E46 front grille doityourself

For those of you who've done the black grille install - how do you separate the grille pieces? They seem to be very tightly latched together and it feels like I'm going to break it trying to pull them apart. Does anyone have any advice or pictures?

EDIT:

Gotta use a flat tip screwdriver, and gently...I saw gently seperate the two pieces at the latch. Stick you fingers in there (yes...pain is required for this evolution) and hold it spread apart a little as you unclip them all the way around. Be careful as breaking the clips is common...
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Instead of using a screwdriver, I used a flat, small piece of wood to slip between the clips. Made it easier than screwdriver.

It seems like theres a black peg pointing down into the tab, but no matter how hard I push the tab won't clear it. I've been trying to seperate them for hours with no luck.

No need to take the new ones apart. They just go in there. There are a few tabs that lock them into place.

^and they just slip in from the front? I did not know this. Diffderent than prefacelift...
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Correct. Mine made a loud snapping sound that made me jump a little since I thought something was breaking but that's how they go in.

BMW Grill Replacement ZHP E46.

And then when you reinstall, you just firmly push in. There will be some resistance -- but firmly push until the clips accept the new grill.

I hope they are supposed to come apart, because I finally got them to separate. It looks like the 2 pieces snap together around the holes in the hood where they insert with 6 snapping tabs. I guess it's possible to use the stock back piece since it isn't seen. I haven't tried to install them yet because it's dark but I'm pretty sure there is no way these were going in without taking them apart.

That video is for pre-facelift e46. The grille was changed in the facelift, no? I'll find out for sure tomorrow morning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast