Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Help! BMW 330 ZHP randomly stalls out.

Everyone,

I've had the car for almost a month now and had the ZHP randomly stall out on me about 3-4 times now. It always happens in 1st gear driving around parking lots and once at a gas station in neutral. Just after filling it up, I cranked the car and gave it a slight rev in rpms and the car suddenly stalls out. The car would crank fine every time afterward when it happens though.

The other times (parking lots) is when I would engage 1st gear, it would stall when I give it a little throttle. I'm really curious as what would cause this to happen? Could it be a ICV? DISA? torn intake boots? Or worst, a ECU problem?
    Last edited by Linh; 12-22-2010 at 05:18 AM.

No codes yet? This sounds exactly like what happened to my car, right before it threw a code for a bad camshaft position sensor.

Nope, no codes.

Mine stalled at first too, maybe 3 times it happened. Always when accelerating from a stopped position. I have no idea what was causing it, but it stopped and hasn't done it again. I suspected it had something to do with sitting on a lot.

Checking the disa, intake boot, and cleaning your icv are good places to start. Always cheaper to check and clean first.

If your CPS is crapping out, hopefully it throws a code for you before long.

Also, don't overlook your vanos. My 325 had the same issue- it would sometimes bog down and come close to stalling when I would give it just a little gas (and would stall out in similar circumstances with the A/C on). Diagnosed as vanos and never happened again after the vanos rebuild.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

+1 on the icv cleaning. Better just buy an upper and lower intake boot too, and inspect the disa as mentioned by the man.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=248979

Give us a brief maintenance history pls....
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

50k Unknown
    45k 2nd Oil service
    31k Electronic fuel pump in fuel tank permanent failure
    30k Oil level/ oil condition sensor permanent failure
    29k Inspection 1
    14k Wiper switch loose
    14k Ignition coils fail (Bremi) Recalled
    13k 1st Engine oil change
    5k Recode light switch center on

Thats all I know about the car's history maintenance wise.

Besides the Vanos hesitation/lag around 2.5-3k rpms, it runs good and smooth.

I should probably also add that there has been 2-3 times when the car would not start on the first try. Usually in the morning before going to work.
    Last edited by Linh; 12-22-2010 at 06:07 AM.

What have you done...?

Maintenance wise?
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Since I had it, I've changed:

Rear Rotor/pad/sensors
    Rear diff fluid Mobile 1
    Redline MTL
    Brake DOT4 fluid
    Oil 0w40 Mobile 1
    Cabin air filter

The air filter still looked clean, so I didn't replace it yet.

I am assuming the intake filter got cleaned during second oil service. Lets hope so.

Anyways.....I recommend doing the following. Should cost around 30 bux, and will take 1.5 hours (max)

Parts/materials neeeded:

1. Intake filter (you can skip if you think it is prudent).
    2. Upper and lower intake boot.
    3. Carb cleaner.
    4. MAF sensor cleaner.

1. Remove intake.
    2. Remove upper and lower intake boots. You will probably have to cut the lower one off due to orientation of hose clamp.
    3. Inspect DISA by unplugging and removing two torx. Check to ensure gasket is in good condition, and check spring feature of flapper valve. When you pull it out...it should be in mid position. When re-installing, place a super thin coat on non-hardening permatex to the gasket.
    4. Make you way down to and remove the ICV. Once you have pulled it.....hold it in your hand and act like your revving a motorcycle. There should be freedom of rotation within the tapered vlave itself. You should hear it click, click, click.
    5. Liberally spray carb cleaner into it, to remove all muck and mung.
    6. Clean MAF sensor with cleaner. Follow directions.
    7. Reassemble.

This will eliminate alot of things.

Make sure to take your time and dhu eeeeeeeeet right.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast