Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Linh View Post
    50k Unknown
    45k 2nd Oil service
    31k Electronic fuel pump in fuel tank permanent failure
    30k Oil level/ oil condition sensor permanent failure
    29k Inspection 1
    14k Wiper switch loose
    14k Ignition coils fail (Bremi) Recalled
    13k 1st Engine oil change
    5k Recode light switch center on

Thats all I know about the car's history maintenance wise.

Besides the Vanos hesitation/lag around 2.5-3k rpms, it runs good and smooth.

I should probably also add that there has been 2-3 times when the car would not start on the first try. Usually in the morning before going to work.
    I thought I remembered something about a software update for a stalling issue but after doing a little searching it looks like that was for earlier years....2001 mainly.

You mention a hesitation between 2500 and 3000.....does it feel like a miss under acceleration in the higher gears? Mine was doing that and everyone tried to tell me it was Vanos so I rebuilt it and it made no difference. I had also read that there was a software update to fix this issue. I took my car to an indy that updated me to the latest software version and it cured it completely.

Here's the thread that convinced me to try the software update....

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=833003

Here's the thread where people tried to tell me it was Vanos. See my post #49....

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=120971

I think if I were you and your "Vanos" problem is the miss like I mention I would have either a dealer or indy with the capability to do software updates to update you to the latest version. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will help with your stalling issue also.

Good luck....Barry

Quote Originally Posted by nk_zhp View Post
    Back when I had my non ZHP 330i I had a problem with the engine stalling out when I would approach stop lights, as if the RPM dropped and never got picked up by the idle. Turns out later there was a TSB on this topic and they often bumped up the idle speed just by 50-100 RPM to resolve the issue. My lease ended on that car before I had a chance to fix it, however going through the records of my current ZHP I seem to recall that item being done. I will check tonight since I don't have the printout here at work.
    It looks like I may be wrong in thinking the s/w update for the stalling problem was on the older cars. Either way, an update is probably a good idea along with replacing the boots and cleaning the ICV like Dane mentions.

The lag really happens only in 2.5-3k range. Nothing noticable in the higher rpms. Also the problem is really pronounced in 3rd gear. Its almost a lag/jerk, ex: like learning how to drive manual the first time.

Thanks, this is something I will to look into eventually.

The lag really happens only in 2.5-3k range. Nothing noticable in the higher rpms. Also the problem is really pronounced in 3rd gear. Its almost a lag/jerk, ex: like learning how to drive manual the first time.

Thanks, this is something I will to look into eventually.
    Yup, higher gears is what I mentioned not higher rpms. Mine was right between 2800 and 3000 rpm, after 3000 it was fine. If that's how yours is I'd bet money it's software and not Vanos. This is a quote from Mike Miller (tech editor for BMWCCA and Bimmer magazine) when I asked him if it might be Vanos.... "Your VANOS unit is highly likely to be fine. That is about the most overblown thing on the Internet today, right after what Miley Cirus did yesterday"

Okay, any idea how much it would cost for a software update from the stealership?

Probably charge you for an hour worth of labor. You will also need to tell them which software update you want.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Do you have more than dealer in your area? If so you might want to make an appointment and then later check the pricing with others see if they can beat it. It's like one time they were trying to charge me 40 bucks to reset the oil light, which I did in less than 10 seconds for free. I get it, we all need to pay bills and dealers have them too.

Okay, any idea how much it would cost for a software update from the stealership?
    I paid $160 (at an indy shop) but had them do a few other things, an hour sounds about right though. They also changed the coding so that I can roll UP all my windows with the remote, nice! Best bet is to tell them you just want to be updated to the latest s/w version available. I've never been able to confirm that the numbers quoted in those threads were correct. Mike Miller told me that the one number that gets mentioned most, SIB 12 08 05 is for something on an Xi. That's why I say your best bet is just to ask for the latest s/w. That's what cured my miss, it was instantly noticeable as soon as I got it into 3rd gear and 2800 rpm.

Barry

Called the dealership and they are charging me 2 hours of labor ($270ish) for the software update. Schedule for next Thursday. I was hoping they could do it in 1 hour.

What a raping. Please give all details on this when done. Thanks
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast