Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Will Not Start....Aaaaarghhh.

A double dose of bad news. The stars are not aligned. Bad Karma...etc. Not only is the articlle not published, but the ZHP will not start after the club meeting. The engine was cranking but will not fire. Gary emntioned that this is one of the weakness of the E46. The Fuel Pump. But before I tackle this, where is the fuel pump relay located? I would like to check this out first. Also to my understanding, if the F/P is bad, then there would not be a humming sound coming from the fuel tank. I have to ask this since I still do not have a Bentley's. Are all E46 F/Ps the same? Meaning interchangeable? Or there is only one specific F/P for the ZHP? Any DIYs related to this will be appreciated. How to check a good F/P if purchased used? More Q's to came later. Thanks.
    Lawrence
    "But Mama....That's where the fun is!"
    BMW CCA #192742
    San Diego & Sin City Chapter
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE
    '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen (The Crown Jewel)
    '20 X5 M Sport Tourquis Blue - #3 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Sapphire Black - #1 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Mineral White - Daughter & Grand Kids Ride
    '24 X4 M40i Brooklyn Grey - SO's New Ride
    '05 330i ZHP Mystic Blue Metallic 6 spd - My Ride
    '03 Nissan Frontier XE Crew Cab - Hauler & Down Range vehicle

Fuel pump relay is in glove box. Swap it for the horn relay.

Actually....the video above tests for power to fuel pump, easier(imo), than getting into glove box relays.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Thanks. Time to order a F/P. BTW, what is the correct P/N for the whole unit? RealOEM had the unit divided into separate parts. Thanks.
    Lawrence
    BMW CCA #192742
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE

Will Not Start....Aaaaarghhh.

Grab rear seat on either side of the "hump". Lift up until rear seat pops free. Fuel pump should be on the passenger side of the tank, on the top (under the seat). You may need to pull back the underlayment/sound deadening material. The fuel pump will have hoses and wiring connectors attached. The other side of the tank should be the fuel tank level sender.

When you turn the key to "On", you should hear the fuel pump motor running.

If not, you can attempt to "smack" the top of the pump while you turn the key to start. This may get the fuel pump to start one more time so you can get home. This may not work if the pump is seized or may fail again while you are driving.

Just be careful not to damage the wires or hoses. Oh - protect your hand. You can use something to hit the pump - like a quart of oil. And it doesn't take a hard hit.

Blackberry. Tapatalk.

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

^ lol. I wouldn't waste your time with replacing the relay...9.9 times out of 10 its a bad pump. I tried the relay when mine went bad and it was a fluke that it started once more with a new relay but then went back to being dead.
    http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6136/5934684585_efb25fa4b8_m.jpg
    My garage: 08' Alpine White 135i Coupe putting out 405 wHP to BOTH rear wheels. 05' LeMans Blue X5 4.8is that I like to call Truckmeat. Socketheads 05' Dinan tuned ZHP, and a few Hondas to keep it real.

I just replaced my pump and sender unit, which both turned out to be perfectly fine. I replaced it with the VDO pump and a BMW sender unit. The fuel pump is under the rear passenger side seat and the sender is under the rear driver's side. The whole job took about 35 to 45 minutes, very easy. Make sure you get new seals. I think the seal came with the sender but I had to order one for the fuel pump. Don't forget to disconnect your battery and seat the seals before you try to put the new pump/sender in. The hardest part of the whole job is banging off the retaining ring. Not sure if you interested in my replaced fuel pump and sender-cheap. Up to you and it might be better to just replace everything new. I think I paid about $150 for the pump, $80 for the sender and $15 for the pump seal. If you have any issues let me know.

Fuel pump is an easy job. Make sure to keep towels handy or at least disconnect the lines really slowly because some fuel is going to spew/leak. Also, you will smell like fuel for a while. I hope you like smelling fuel.

Just ordered the whole unit of VDO F/P from AutoPartsWarehouse. Free shipping. But I have to pay taxes to Uncle Brown. The best price available. ECS was charging me a whole lot more. Oh yeah...I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.....breakfast of champions. Another point...why didn't BMW use the F/P from the E39? So much more dependable and for the same engine? On the other hand, I sometimes hate the bean counters. In the meantime, I'm stuck for a few days. And I was to have the ZHP replace all suspensions this Friday. Cancel that appointment.
    Lawrence
    BMW CCA #192742
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE

Quote Originally Posted by das boots View Post
    Thanks. Time to order a F/P. BTW, what is the correct P/N for the whole unit? RealOEM had the unit divided into separate parts. Thanks.
    The whole unit p/n is listed on realoem.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Sorry Lawrence to hear about the bad FP. I hope that's problem and it gets fixed quickly. Sucks even worse to have to cancel that suspension appointment.
    BTW, I love the smell of gasoline.

Good news, get that M3 out and drive her around!

Please visit my build page here, on CarDomain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast