Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

My fob won't unlock the doors!!

Hey guys, I did some research on this and can't find the bottom of this. So i just bought a 03 ZHP. Came with two keys,

1st key
    - Star tsthe car, thats it. It will not lock or unlock using the fob, only manually

2nd key
    - Will only unlock and lock the car, when in the ignition and cranked all electronics come on but won't start

I have tried to reset both keys using the method posted, the 2nd key resets but still can't start, the 1st key doesn't respond when being reprogrammed.

I think the 1st key has a dead battery (i know its rechargeable)
    and i think the second key just went bad?

I need to fix one of the keys so i don't have to carry both all the time.....

Thanks for your help guys! I really don't want to spend 200$ on a new key from the stealership.

My best guess is first key has bad battery, second might be an eBay key without the chip necessary to start. My 2c based on what you said.
    It's finally time to settle down,
    my name is Nelson.

Both of my keys will unlock the driver's door and start the car. But the remotes do not unlock or lock the car. I was told it's the control module for the central locking.
    "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later."

2009 Horizon Blue Mini R56 Cooper S 6spd
    2012 Pepper White Mini R56 "Justa" Cooper 6spd
    On the hunt for an e30, z3, or 318ti...

Sounds like you may be a candidate for this guy's service:

http://www.bmwgm5.com/default.htm
    Last edited by aurelius; 11-09-2011 at 09:21 AM.

thanks guys! there's a bunch of diy's for changing the fob battery, i think im going to give it a shot before buying a new one.

good luck... let us know how it goes!

If you buy the battery on eBay from the service linked above and it turns out not to be a battery issue, he will deduct the battery price from his key repair service. His ebay seller info is on one of his web pages.

Since the only key which starts your car seems to be the one most likely repairable, I'd get a valet key made before you send that 1st master key away for service. Bring your ownership or registration documents to the dealer if you do.

As for your 2nd key, he will diagnose it for a net cost of $5. Meaning, if it can't be repaired, you'll get a refund of all but $5. $50 each if repairable, way cheaper than a new key + programming, etc.