Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airbag removal

Airbag removal

I'm having a hard time getting the airbag off. I can't seem to find the springs for the airbags with the long skinny screwdriver. Any tips?
    --Wes--

04 330i ZHP Oxford Green/Natural Brown
    04 330Ci ZHP Silvergrey/Alcantara (RIP)

the picture at the top of the other thread you posted in was most helpful for me. try to keep it on that angle and parallel to the plane of the wheel. you'll feel it. it is one of those things that makes a lot more sense once you see it apart, but that doesn't help you much now i know.

Here's a closeup of what you're trying to accomplish:

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 301
Size:  338.4 KB

The tip of the screwdriver needs to be perpendicular to the spring arm and I'm using it to push it inwards and release the airbag.

William.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Thanks for the pic.

Spent $55 on tools today so im determined to diy, really dont want to shell out another $200 for a shop to do this...sigh
    --Wes--

Quote Originally Posted by wsmeyer View Post
    Here's a closeup of what you're trying to accomplish:

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 301
Size:  338.4 KB

The tip of the screwdriver needs to be perpendicular to the spring arm and I'm using it to push it inwards and release the airbag.

William.
    You're talking about putting it in that lil hole, correct?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Here's two more, back of wheel showing the screwdriver going through the little slit in the back of the wheel:

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 356
Size:  75.8 KB

And another from the front. Notice the slot in the wheel itself that will guide the screwdriver in at the correct angle
    Name:  photo-2.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  24.9 KB
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

probably worth noting that this will work way better with a flat tip held horizontally or a large torx...a flat tip held vertically or smaller diameter phillips will probably keep you trying for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by wsmeyer View Post
    Here's two more, back of wheel showing the screwdriver going through the little slit in the back of the wheel:

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 356
Size:  75.8 KB

And another from the front. Notice the slot in the wheel itself that will guide the screwdriver in at the correct angle
    Name:  photo-2.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  24.9 KB
    Second pic is perfect. Are these in our steering wheel diy?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

ugh

still no luck. calling it quits for the night due to darkness and frustration. better not to force it and break something. will get up early tomorrow and start fresh.

since i'm done for the day, might as well ask a couple questions.

so i just got my coby wheel, which is beautiful btw. but i noticed it's not "plug and play" like a new M3 or ZHP wheel. so how hard is it going to be to transfer all the electronic cables and connectors and what not? all of the DIYs i've read are with plug and play wheels where the plastic cover piece and buttons do not have to be transferred from one wheel or another. i'm kinda worried i'm going to get the wheel off and not know what the hell to do from that point and be screwed.

pics of the coby wheel. definitely the most intimidating diy i've undertaken. i'm a little scared at this point.

god i hope i can do this.
    --Wes--

YOU'LL GET IT WEBBY!

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast