Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Does anyone have a deer whistle on their car?

If you don't know what a deer whistle is, it is a whistle you mount on your car that activates at a certain speed to produce an ultrasonic frequency to warn wildlife of your oncoming car. I do half my driving on rural roads and I'm considering picking one up.

Does anyone use a deer whistle on their car? If so, where did you mount it? Pics if you have them.

All I can tell you is this:

Where I work, deer strikes are a big problem. We bang up cars every year, especially this time of year.

In the late 90s we put deer whistles on all of our cars. We hit more deer than we did without the whistles.

They were removed in the early 2000s.

We still hit deer...

Interesting read here
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Yeah, deer are a huge problem in NW Indiana. Not many people have whistles on their cars, and I haven't ever heard anything about them actually working.

Before I moved to Atlanta I lived in very rural SC. Deer strikes were very common, our family at one point hit 2 in 7 months. I've had 1 extremely narrow miss and a handful of closer calls.

I do not use the whistles nor have I ever heard of anyone having success with them. I can't believe they'd generate anything loud enough to be heard over the road noise of a vehicle moving at 50/60mph anyway.

I combat the deer threat with hypervigilant scanning of the roadsides and strong lighting .....and a foot ready to drop anchor. DO NOT swerve...you'll end up holding a yard sale. Just hit the thing and call up your insurance. Sucks but better than flipping into the woods which is what happens 80% of the time people swerve.

Did you pick one up?
    I drive out in the country side too.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    Did you pick one up?
    Decided to save my money. The article Kayger linked to convinced me that it wasn't worth buying one.

Duuh, I didn't see the link in Kayger's post.
    Convinced as well.
    Moving on...
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg