Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My opinion on the California smog inspection is that many smog stations don't care that much where your cats are during the visual inspection, as long as they can see the cats and the car passes the tailpipe sniffer. Because if you pass the sniffer, you must have functional cats somewhere, right? Of course I wouldn't install Schmiedmann or Magnaflow headers with cats then go tell the smog guy about them, because then he might be required to ask for the CARB number and fail you when you can't supply one.

I think the smog computer tells the operator what equipment should be there for each make/model/year of car, but not where it is. So if your car is supposed to have an EGR valve and secondary air pump, the printout says those should be there, but doesn't supply a diagram showing where they are. Of course, I could be wrong about this.

My other concern would be that maybe a 49-state legal header/cat combo might somehow have cats that are not quite efficient enough for the California tailpipe sniffer standards. Did Magnaflow make these 49-state legal because they couldn't pass California emissions standards, or simply because it was too much hassle to get them CARB approved?

Any updates on the headers?

2004 Titansilber Metallic BMW 330i ZHP

I recently installed this set up on my 330xi, and was very impressed by the quality. For fitment reasons with the xi I adapted an s52 cat rather than the schmeidmann supplied cats. End result was impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool... is that where the S52’s cats normally sit in the exhaust? Wondering if they would get hot enough to do anything?

I was eyeing those headers as well... thanks for the thoughts on them.

How is the sound?

peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Anyone know anything about Schmiedmann Headers

That’s where they would mount in the e36 and they’re working great!

Sound is amazing... similar to the quite expensive eisenmann race. After the cats I welded on a y that went in to a 3” merge with a v-flange ending in a magnaflow chamber muffler.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123