Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I am out of my probationary period -- 90 days of shooting

As of yesterday, I have been shooting with my camera for 90 days. I've learned a ton of stuff, but I wanted to highlight some of the things that allowed me to get to where I am right now.

First, it's so important to understand exposure. A thorough understanding of shutter speed, ISO, and aperture (and how the three interact) is essential. I've never shot in anything other than manual mode, so it was important for me to learn this part of photography immediately. For those who are just picking up a camera, I advise you to get out of automatic mode as soon as you can. It's akin to touch typing. At first, you'll be slow. Eventually, though, you'll be ripping right along.

Second, there is no substitute for getting out there and shooting as often as you can. I rarely passed up an opportunity to use my camera. Whenever someone would invite me to shoot, I did it. Also, not only did I shoot with Casey, I had the chance to shoot with other established photographers. I jumped at the chance to watch others point their camera.

Three, find a good mentor if you have that option. A mentor has already made all of the mistakes. A mentor has already learned all of the tricks and tips. A mentor has already seen a lot of different scenarios. If you can find a photographer who is willing to impart all of their wisdom and knowledge to you, you'd be a fool to pass it up.

Four, shoot in all kinds of conditions. Don't just shoot during the golden hour (sunrise and sunset). I challenged myself to shoot at all different times. Because of that, I know what kind of issues arise during the midday sun or moonless evening. I know what happens in high contrast shots. I know what happens when light is minimal (during the evening). In the future, when I am confronted with a challenging shot (because of the time of day), I won't be an inexperienced newbie who can't handle the prevailing conditions.

Five, learn your editing software. If you use Lightroom, learn it inside and out. If you use Photoshop, master it. Your editing software can turn a really good picture into something better (Casey taught me that). On the flipside, though, software isn't going to rescue a turd from the toilet.

Six, learn how to evaluate your pictures. If you are asking for help, and want a critique, be sure to put your best stuff out there. Don't throw a bunch of photos, of varying quality, out there to be critiqued. It's not helpful to you and it won't be appreciated by those who are trying to help you.

Seven, understand that your camera is a tool. In the right hands, someone can take wonderful pictures. If the wrong hands, it's not all that helpful. To wit: I can give a carpenter a hammer and nails, which will result in a wonderful creation. Give me a hammer and nails and I may get two boards affixed to something.

I often see people try to buy their way out of lousy fundamentals. They have not mastered the fundamentals of photography, so they think that a new camera or new lenses are the answer. It's not. Often, the photographer just isn't very good. Instead of going back and learning how to take a good picture, the person will upgrade the camera body or upgrade lenses. When that doesn't work, they'll upgrade again. If you've got a boatload of money, knock yourself out, Bad Picture Guy. The rest of us, with budgets, need to learn how to master the fundamentals.

Eight, shoot as often as possible. Yes, I know. This is point two again. I can't emphasize enough how important it is to practice. You only get better when you're practicing your craft. Practice, practice, practice. Casey has a Coke can that he shoots -- a lot. I use Zippy a lot. Zippy is my Coke can. People who only shoot when they're inspired will get passed up by those who shoot all the time. My long-term goal is to take inspiring shots. My goal is not to shoot only when I am inspired.

Finally, a shout out to Casey is in order. During my earliest days, he was really patient with me. He answered any question I had about photography. He also gave me some very critical feedback. If you want to get good at photography, you should have thick thin. The best advice and feedback I got was not easy on the ears. My early stuff was cringe worthy. I look back on some of the stuff I shot in August and September and I giggle. Still, I got past it. I continued to practice and I continued to learn. I'm just lucky that I had a mentor like Casey to get me over some of the humps. So, thanks, Casey. I'm glad you had the patience to get me to where I am today: day 91.

I have an old saying. It's this: check back with me in a year. We'll see where I am then. Until then, you can find me practicing and learning.

What body are you shooting with? After this weekend in Vegas, I really want to get back into it...I'm going to need something to do after I move to Jersey.

This was a really good write up Mark...and you're photos have gotten better and better as you've progressed along the last few months. I'm very impressed
    http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6136/5934684585_efb25fa4b8_m.jpg
    My garage: 08' Alpine White 135i Coupe putting out 405 wHP to BOTH rear wheels. 05' LeMans Blue X5 4.8is that I like to call Truckmeat. Socketheads 05' Dinan tuned ZHP, and a few Hondas to keep it real.

Nice stuff boss. Well written.

I like the tip on just shooting. I need to stop waiting to be in the mood or inspired to shoot...

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

Forgot one more thing. Read the manual! Don't skip that.

Kristen, I'm using a Nikon D700. It's great for low light conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by billschusteriv View Post
    Nice stuff boss. Well written.

I like the tip on just shooting. I need to stop waiting to be in the mood or inspired to shoot...
    This kills a lot of people.

I have a theory, you can wait to be inspired or you can go out and start inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus-SanDiego View Post
    As of yesterday, I have been shooting with my camera for 90 days. I've learned a ton of stuff, but I wanted to highlight some of the things that allowed me to get to where I am right now.

First, it's so important to understand exposure. A thorough understanding of shutter speed, ISO, and aperture (and how the three interact) is essential. I've never shot in anything other than manual mode, so it was important for me to learn this part of photography immediately. For those who are just picking up a camera, I advise you to get out of automatic mode as soon as you can. It's akin to touch typing. At first, you'll be slow. Eventually, though, you'll be ripping right along.

Second, there is no substitute for getting out there and shooting as often as you can. I rarely passed up an opportunity to use my camera. Whenever someone would invite me to shoot, I did it. Also, not only did I shoot with Casey, I had the chance to shoot with other established photographers. I jumped at the chance to watch others point their camera.

Three, find a good mentor if you have that option. A mentor has already made all of the mistakes. A mentor has already learned all of the tricks and tips. A mentor has already seen a lot of different scenarios. If you can find a photographer who is willing to impart all of their wisdom and knowledge to you, you'd be a fool to pass it up.

Four, shoot in all kinds of conditions. Don't just shoot during the golden hour (sunrise and sunset). I challenged myself to shoot at all different times. Because of that, I know what kind of issues arise during the midday sun or moonless evening. I know what happens in high contrast shots. I know what happens when light is minimal (during the evening). In the future, when I am confronted with a challenging shot (because of the time of day), I won't be an inexperienced newbie who can't handle the prevailing conditions.

Five, learn your editing software. If you use Lightroom, learn it inside and out. If you use Photoshop, master it. Your editing software can turn a really good picture into something better (Casey taught me that). On the flipside, though, software isn't going to rescue a turd from the toilet.

Six, learn how to evaluate your pictures. If you are asking for help, and want a critique, be sure to put your best stuff out there. Don't throw a bunch of photos, of varying quality, out there to be critiqued. It's not helpful to you and it won't be appreciated by those who are trying to help you.

Seven, understand that your camera is a tool. In the right hands, someone can take wonderful pictures. If the wrong hands, it's not all that helpful. To wit: I can give a carpenter a hammer and nails, which will result in a wonderful creation. Give me a hammer and nails and I may get two boards affixed to something.

I often see people try to buy their way out of lousy fundamentals. They have not mastered the fundamentals of photography, so they think that a new camera or new lenses are the answer. It's not. Often, the photographer just isn't very good. Instead of going back and learning how to take a good picture, the person will upgrade the camera body or upgrade lenses. When that doesn't work, they'll upgrade again. If you've got a boatload of money, knock yourself out, Bad Picture Guy. The rest of us, with budgets, need to learn how to master the fundamentals.

Eight, shoot as often as possible. Yes, I know. This is point two again. I can't emphasize enough how important it is to practice. You only get better when you're practicing your craft. Practice, practice, practice. Casey has a Coke can that he shoots -- a lot. I use Zippy a lot. Zippy is my Coke can. People who only shoot when they're inspired will get passed up by those who shoot all the time. My long-term goal is to take inspiring shots. My goal is not to shoot only when I am inspired.

Finally, a shout out to Casey is in order. During my earliest days, he was really patient with me. He answered any question I had about photography. He also gave me some very critical feedback. If you want to get good at photography, you should have thick thin. The best advice and feedback I got was not easy on the ears. My early stuff was cringe worthy. I look back on some of the stuff I shot in August and September and I giggle. Still, I got past it. I continued to practice and I continued to learn. I'm just lucky that I had a mentor like Casey to get me over some of the humps. So, thanks, Casey. I'm glad you had the patience to get me to where I am today: day 91.

I have an old saying. It's this: check back with me in a year. We'll see where I am then. Until then, you can find me practicing and learning.
    hella good advice right there.
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

Great write up Marcus ....keeps me inspired .....

sent from Dennis' Droid using tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus-SanDiego View Post
    Also, not only did I shoot with Casey, I had the chance to shoot with other established photographers.
    Without context, this can sound hurtful towered Casey haha. Anyways, although I agree whole heartedly with everything you've said, but I feel that there is not always a need to shoot in manual, shooting in aperture priority or shutter speed controls can give you sufficient control of the camera so I'd suggest shooting in those and learning how the camera automatically selects an appropriate aperture or shutter speed according to conditions and then shooting in full manual when you know exactly what they do and you know what you want the camera to do.

Also like how Marcus was opposed to getting into photography less than a year ago because of the obvious costs that would make him poor:P
    It's finally time to settle down,
    my name is Nelson.

Quote Originally Posted by pleasecorrupt View Post
    Without context, this can sound hurtful towered Casey haha. Anyways, although I agree whole heartedly with everything you've said, but I feel that there is not always a need to shoot in manual, shooting in aperture priority or shutter speed controls can give you sufficient control of the camera so I'd suggest shooting in those and learning how the camera automatically selects an appropriate aperture or shutter speed according to conditions and then shooting in full manual when you know exactly what they do and you know what you want the camera to do.

Also like how Marcus was opposed to getting into photography less than a year ago because of the obvious costs that would make him poor:P
    Yeah. But I did say "other" established photographers, which implies that Casey is established, too.

I recommend that people get out of auto mode as soon as they can. I am sure that shooting in AP is fine but if you want full control of your camera, work toward getting to manual mode.

Regarding my comment about being reluctant to enter the photography market -- because of the costs -- that comment still stands. This is an expensive habit. Still, I'm glad I decided to join you guys. It's a great hobby.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast