Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Installing amp and sub

How hard is it to wire in an amp and sub into the stock stereo? Can I tap into the rear subs? I have a amp and sub from my moms old car that she isn't using and wanted to install it. Is there a how-to for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris-

2003 ZHP Sedan - Jet Black on Sand - SOLD

Depending on where you take the signal from (as an input into the amplifier), you have to worry about input sensitivity of the amplifier.

As you know, our console stereo is a preamp so could take this signal (line level - before it enters our amplifier in the trunk), or you could tap into the post-amp subwoofer line (speaker level).

Kinda depends on your mom's amp. Google it and see the input it has.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

yeah not TOO hard if you get the right info before hand.

and BTW... awesome that your mom had subs
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

Here's the amp and inputs. Does that help. I know a little about stereos but not so much as to where I should install everything.

Attached Images Attached Images   
    -Chris-

Google the model info and get the specs
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

Found this... http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...item_id=112089

Can anyone help tell me what all that means and what I need to do haha?

-Chris-

Honestly man, having done the whole sub thing in two previous cars, my suggestion is to not do it. You'll spend hours setting it up (make that days if you do any custom fabrication for a clean install), lose trunk space (or other practicality), and the bass will get old after a few weeks. The stock Harmon Kardon audio system with stock subs produces plenty of bass for my liking - in fact, I have bass turned down because it's usually too much.

The only sub setup I'd consider in my ZHP is a 10" square sub in the ski pass-through, as some other people have done. Even then, this would be more for the fun of doing it, rather than the bass.

Well I'm using a single 10" truck sub so it's very low profile cause I still need to fit my golf bag and such in there. Since it was already in another car, I have all the wiring, boxes, etc so I am hoping it's just plug and play. I'm really critical of my music so I'm not getting a sub for the boom effect, more so I can get a deeper bass than the stock system can provide.

However if it still looks like a very long process, I most likely won't do it.

-Chris-

I have 2 12's in my trunk and the only annoying thing is the vibrating rear deck. However it takes the bass out of the door speakers so you get a crisper sound out of them. I love the HK sound system and kept it as stock as possible; just added subs. There's an RCA converter that goes from the sub amp to the Rear speakers.
    Amp power connects to + terminal on the battery. I'll look at the converter tomorrow and get more info on it.

I think it will work, because the specs of your mom's amp state low level input.

I am pretty sure that is the same as the output of out head unit preamp.

Also see BSW website. They sell a similar amp (same manufacturer) whose specs are labelled similarly to those seen on your mom's amp. See here

You would splice into one of the input rear speakers (L or R don't matter) before it enters your current amp (BMW amp), and use that as the input to your mom's amp, hooked to the subwoofer.

You could try is without messing anything up.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast