Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cleaning Cloth Seats

I know a while ago someone posted a tutorial on how to clean the alcantara steering wheel on the models so equipped (I have leather steering wheel). I believe the consensus was that Mr. Clean Magic Erasure was best on the alcantara. But, what about the cloth?

My cloth/alcantara seats are showing dirty regions on the bolsters and the main center cloth section. I just noticed, and want to nab this in the butt before it comes another one of those "never cleaned" cloth seats.

Would the magic eraser be recommended for cloth as well? I know it works well on the alcantara because I've tried it, but I don't want to muck up the cloth if it's not meant for it.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I use the Alcantara cleaner that BMW sells.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I'd fear that you'd end up with faded spots if you took the magic eraser to the cloth. I'd try to track down someone with a steam cleaner, you can even get basic ones off of amazon for not a ton of cash. Pretty legit investment if you have cloth seats, not to mention the ability to clean your carpet very very well.

By the way, I don't know if you were joking or not, but the expression is "nip this in the bud"...if you wrote that on purpose 10-4, just don't want you to tell someone at work you want to nab something in the butt if you thought that was the expression.

Anyway, my recommendation is to steamclean. I think it is going to take moisture to really lift dirt. Lamborghini says specifically to not use a steam cleaner on alcantara.

At that point I'd follow it up with a protectant and let it bake in the sun to try and avoid mold formation from the moisture.
    Last edited by zj96sc; 02-05-2012 at 08:40 PM.

i steam cleaned the alcantara in my old integra (had type R front and rear seats) and it was fine. got everything out of it.

If you're going to steam clean, I'd suggest taking the seats out of the car. I've heard horror stories about steam ruining electronics and other sensitive parts of the interior.

nike001 Guest
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-cleaning.html

http://forum.purseblog.com/louis-vui...ra-656891.html

Heres a video of a wheel cleaning, but the steps during cleaning would be the same for seats:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPL0nb0J2Sg

Steam cleaning also doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Worse than this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPP8NkjPGvk

By the way, from that autogeek thread, from Lamborghini:

Don’t rub too vigorously, and we don’t recommend using steam machines.
    I will edit as appropriate.

Dane, do you have a P/N for BMW's offering that you referenced?

Quote Originally Posted by zj96sc View Post

Dane, do you have a P/N for BMW's offering that you referenced?

http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Natural-Ca.../dp/B004QXWWWQ

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by kerunt View Post
    If you're going to steam clean, I'd suggest taking the seats out of the car. I've heard horror stories about steam ruining electronics and other sensitive parts of the interior.
    you use the hose attachment and go over your carpeting/seats like you would a vacuum. it places exactly where you need it? it doesn't steam up the entire car. i'm not sure how this would effect the electronics. I have always done this outside with the doors open (as if i were vacuuming my car). i've done this on three different vehicles carpeting and never had any issues.

if it's not recommended as said above, then i guess i would stay away from steam cleaning the alcantara.

Autozone.com
    Charlie had his interior steam cleaned and there have been no issues with his car. My deal will be finding a place nearby that will do it. Another problem will be getting those seats out of the car; they are extremely heavy, and I don't see an easy way of taking them out with that door pillar in place without scratching or destroying some part of my interior... I'll have to look up some youtube tutorials or something for tricks. I definitely need to take the seats out though because I never can fit a vacuum hose in between the seats so it's quite nasty.

Thanks for the steam cleaning suggestions. I definitely would like to try this route. Was hoping there's be a product that I could use, and I think I might try Dane's suggestion first.

DW,
    Is that supposed to be good for cloth as well as alcantara?

Quote Originally Posted by zj96sc View Post
    By the way, I don't know if you were joking or not, but the expression is "nip this in the bud"...if you wrote that on purpose 10-4, just don't want you to tell someone at work you want to nab something in the butt if you thought that was the expression.
    Said it on purpose. Thanks for looking out though.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast