Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

i trust this guy/broker, i'm tentatively going to buy the car as long as he wins the auction. he has his own shop, so he's going to fix up what he can if anything needs fixing.

after all the replies from here, i'm prepared to put up about $1000 towards any fixes i need, probably cooling system and bushings/mounts. i'll try most things DIY.

i saw minalmo's car. i PMd him a few weeks ago but he was fixing up some things, not sure if he's still selling this week, he was last week though. I PMd him again last night but now i'm steering towards this coupe.

Get him to flush and change all fluids, spark plugs, filters, bushings, coolant system, intake boots. Whatever he doesn't do just DIY. Oh, and have him charge the battery, it's probably been sitting for a while

with theft history and no records i'd walk away. there are plenty of other ZHPs out there.

BUT....if you're going for it, just be ready to replace basically anything at and before the car's mileage from the old school MX program. you can safely assume nothing has ever been done if you have no proof.

Oh, and get the RPMs up on your M3. That motor was built to have its legs stretched, not lug around at 2k RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
    after all the replies from here, i'm prepared to put up about $1000 towards any fixes i need...
    You're probably looking at nearly a grand just for new tires, mounted and balanced, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by aurelius View Post
    You're probably looking at nearly a grand just for new tires, mounted and balanced, etc.
    I dropped nearly 3 grand in clutch, disa, window regulator trans fluid and filter and I still need brakes... Mine had a folder of maintenance records and my buddy at the local dealership ran its history... Not saying its not a good car but you might want to be prepared to drop a little more than a grand to put it where it needs to be... I will echo the others though in that I think there are better cars out there

~Steve
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mods: Smoked corners, smoked side markers, smoked tails, 35% tint, CF kidney grills, debadged, angel eyes, 3000k HID Fogs, OBX exhaust, Sharked, solo werks S1 coilovers, front and rear strut brace, AUX cable
    "I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me"

Buying from a private seller without a maintenance history, plan to put a lot of money into the car to fix it up. Think about it, people usually sell their cars when they decide the maintenance and repairs are just not worth it, and they're going to buy a new car. I was just chatting with a neighbor who bought an E46 M3 2 weeks ago. It had 101k miles and I took a look at it-- it needs tires, brakes, and suspension work-- no small money task on an M3, plus who knows if it needs a valve adjustment or whatever else that I couldn't see in a cursory check.

I would say that if you buy from a reputable dealer (especially a franchisee) you are more likely to get a good car that is up to date on maintenance. However, this is not a guarantee- far from it. Even reputable dealers sell bad cars, just not as many as unreputable dealers sell.

this should have already happened by now. Tracer, did he get the car?

i ended up getting the car! i know, i should've listened, but i found a buyer for my m3 willing to pay what I had in mind and didn't want to lose that. we'll see how this all turns out, but i do plan on keeping the car for two years so i'll be putting some maintenance in anyways.

should get here in about a week

Congrats.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast