Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    nike001 Guest
    I don't understand why you're doing this when you can just fit in one of the several other lights you have

Where are you getting them for $1,000 for the pair? I searched online and the cheapest I'm finding is $1500 for a pair.

3. FYI, the beam pattern has been changed to a straighter line instead of that pronounced zig zag effect. Is this what you had in mind?
    ZHP Registry - stats and free classifieds.

Quote Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
    I don't understand why you're doing this when you can just fit in one of the several other lights you have
    I'd prefer something brand new, with warranty. I plan on selling the rest in the parts bin.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Horns! View Post
    Where are you getting them for $1,000 for the pair? I searched online and the cheapest I'm finding is $1500 for a pair.
    I went to my local body shop--that I have a good relationship with--and had them look them up. That was their cost on it. They sold them to me at their cost. They said they'd generally mark them up about 30% for customers so $1500 makes sense...

Quote Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
    Just got back from the shop. These are indeed AL OEM headlights. I plugged one in quickly next to my ZKW bulb and the light output is significantly brighter. Huge difference.
    I put an Osram bulb in one of mine and it was also brighter than the Philips bulb I has on the other side but supposedly that is just because it is brand new, it supposedly settles down a little after a while

6. Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    I put an Osram bulb in one of mine and it was also brighter than the Philips bulb I has on the other side but supposedly that is just because it is brand new, it supposedly settles down a little after a while
    XENON build degrade over time. After about 1000 hours of operation you get 70% of the original output.

no, i'm referring to pronounced pattern differences below the cutoff. 'zigzag' assuming you mean the upper edge of the pattern with noticeable upticks is controlled by the cutoff plate/bixenon shutter which will stay oem e46 even with the E90 bowls.

This is turning into a bit of a hijack but the mods can move as they feel fit.

Driver's side, with the E90 bowl:

Passenger side, oem ZKW E46 bowl:

The E90 bowls are designed for D1S bulbs and not D2S bulbs so bulb retention gets a little fiddly. The beams shook noticeably over sharp bumps (lip to head up my driveway is where I always saw it) even with what I thought was a pretty well designed bulb holder.

I also do not think the depth of the arc within the reflector bowl is proper when you stick the D2S bulb into the D1S reflector, which may be driving the difference in beam pattern.

Again, like I said, it is probably a decent solution for the money, but definitely not seamless or plug and play.

When I bought the ZHP I put in brand new Philips bulbs and new headlight lens covers. Cost about $200 for evertything. Helped a bit, not much.

nike001 Guest
    Fair enough. With selling your ZKW stuff, and all your other projectors and what not..you might be able to break even

10. Quote Originally Posted by zj96sc View Post
    I also do not think the depth of the arc within the reflector bowl is proper when you stick the D2S bulb into the D1S reflector, which may be driving the difference in beam pattern.

from what I know, the geometry of the D1S and D2S bulbs is the same. The only different is the integrated ignitor.

Also, that different in beam pattern you are showing, is the direct effect of the burns bowl (I am assuming the ZKW in that photo is burnt no?). As you go lower the reflective surface turn brown (burnt) and the light reflection disappears. The upper part of the reflector controls the light closer to the ground and the middle part of the reflector controls the light shooting straight ahead. From your photos the E90 looks pretty darn good. The issue regarding shaking is noted so I'll see if I can come up with anything interesting.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast