Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Mysterious loss of coolant....looking for ideas please

So I'm looking for a list of things to check.......I'm currently losing coolant at a rate of about 2-4 ounces every 100-150 miles. Essentially if I top it off at the lower mark on the expansion tank indicator, after 100 miles or so it has sunk down so the top is flush with the lip of the tank.

1. I pressure tested (cold/cool engine) and no loss of pressure at 15psi.
    2. Looked for stains and cant find anything anywhere of significance.
    3. Its not getting worse, a stable rate of loss so far.
    4. Only cooling related issues- water pump was replaced about 5K miles ago, and a couple weeks ago I replaced coolant and inspected for any indications of leaking. The 04 ZHP has about 64K total.

I'm thinking perhaps to pressure test when its hot, but that would entail hooking up the pressure tester when cool and getting it hot I assume?
    The coolant tank cap is original AFAIK, might replace that but I dont see stains around that. Hoses all look good and no evidence of leakage, but I know at some point soon I know I need to do the major cooling system overhaul, but I want to know the offending part first.

What else to do?.......I dont want to have a small leak suddenly turn into a gusher at a bad time for obvious reasons so trying to get to the bottom of this.

Tim

2. The cap is a REAL possibility. When the car is fully warmed up, how tight are the rubber hoses when you try to squeeze them?
    ZHP Registry - stats and free classifieds.

what does your oil look like?

Your plan of action seems pretty spot on. You'll want to check things while hot as you know, thats when things start expanding and such. The concerning part is you cannot find the signs of the leak, which is likely like it was suggested to check your oil. If coolant is getting into your oil, it may not be a cheap fix.

On my old 325i it would only leak when hot. I had these same indications. I think it was due to crack swell when warm. Would the crack below hold 15 psi when cold?.....dunno.

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I'd be taking a hard look at the cap and expansion tank.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

My 325 coolant loss was due to a cracked head. I could tell that's what it was because the coolant smelled like exhaust. there were no other tell tale signs...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

In your case did the exhaust also smell like coolant?

Edit: Right before I bought my car, we discovered a very slow coolant leak from one of the radiator end-tanks. But this was at 135,000 miles, so it's not likely to be the cause at 64,000 miles. Still I suspect it was similar to that ET crack... something small that only seeps when hot. Mine was diagnosed because there was dried coolant on the side of the radiator. You could only see it from under the car with the plastic undertray removed.
    Last edited by LivesNearCostco; 11-30-2011 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    I'd be taking a hard look at the cap and expansion tank.
    +1
    It may have cracked somewhere underneath the expansion tank so you wouldn't necessarily see it. Also a very common failure on the E46.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Quote Originally Posted by Newjack View Post
    +1
    It may have cracked somewhere underneath the expansion tank so you wouldn't necessarily see it. Also a very common failure on the E46.
    Yep - I had that happen with my 325.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast