Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Got it. What's the other hole for?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    I believe I read something in the past about the dash/climate control/nav lights adjusting to the ambient light inside of the car. Not sure though.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

The sensor on the switch is for what Keith said. The sensor on the back of the mirror its self is for the auto dimming feature if I recall.

The rain sensor aka RLS ( rain light sensor ) controls the headlights and the wipers. When it fails it defaults ( supposed to at least ) to the headlights being on always and the wipers should return to an intermittent mode. Removing the fuse results in the same out come.

If the sensor is fuged up say from a bad windshield install the sensors ability to work could be compromised. This could be a problem because then the car may think its working and the sensor may be acting like how its supposed to. If the adhesive that's used to attach the sensor to the glass has to many bubbles or a few in the right spot it will cause issues. The RLS is located behind the rear view mirror and is attached to the windshield. The sensor emits a infrared beam that detects the rain on the glass and then will adjust the wipers according to how often/ much the infrared beams are interrupted. In the same sensor is the part that measures the ambient lighting and then signals to activate the headlights as needed.

The RLS is able to be adjusted to I believe for the auto lights feature using one of the software programs to be less sensitive to the ambient lighting. Adjusting the turn dial on the wiper stalk used to activate the wipers adjusts the sensitivity of the rain sensing wipers. Down less sensitive up more sensitive.

Hope this helps any.

"I don't care if the door gaps are straight. When the driver steps on the gas I want him to sheet his pant's." Enzo Ferrari

The light sensor on the actual light module itself automatically controls the LED brightness for the radio and dash. It will dim if it is cloudy and get brighter if it is bright out. It's a nice little feature to keep everything easy-to-read.

The light sensor on the front of the mirror helps to scan how bright it is in front of you and compare how bright it is behind you vs. in front of you to avoid accidental dimming due to headlights of oncoming cars or street lights shining into your car. Very neat.

The rain sensor itself has a built-in light sensor that controls the automatic headlights. It's a bit finnicky at times. Sometimes it will turn on around dusk when it is not dark at all but not turn on promptly when it is really cloudy out and raining (it eventually does). It will also monitor the number of swipes by the windshield wipers and turn on your headlights automatically if it begins to rain.

If your lights are on all the time, it could be due to a bad sensor or dirty windshield. The sensor itself can be replaced very easily: just undo the plastic mirror base, unplug the sensor, and swap in the new one. The reason why a bad sensor is a possibility is because I have seen a thread in which someone put in an automatic LCM into their car that did not have automatic headlights. Leaving it in the auto position left the headlights on all the time.

This is good info. I've never noticed my interior lights dimming or getting brighter though. I've used the rheostat adjustment for that.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Automatic headlights on during the day:
    I noticed today that my lights were on at 10am on a cloudy but bright day. I read through some of this post and am wondering if it is the RLS (Rain Light Sensor) or the new windshield I had installed a few months back. As you'll recall the rain sensing wipers were not working correctly so I pulled that fuse and am using them as intermittent wipers. Any way to isolate the problem?

sna77, did you resolve your issues?

Shawn,

The auto light sensor is definitely related to the rain sensor fuse. I had my windshield replaced as well, and also had issues with the auto wipers. I did as you did and removed the fuse to use them as intermittent wipers. At this point, i also lost the auto wiper functionality. I was told by the windshield company that the sensor should be rest by bmw. I was told by bmw that there is no way to "reset" the sensor. I sold the zhp before i figured out who was at fault.
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman View Post
    Shawn,

The auto light sensor is definitely related to the rain sensor fuse. I had my windshield replaced as well, and also had issues with the auto wipers. I did as you did and removed the fuse to use them as intermittent wipers. At this point, i also lost the auto wiper functionality. I was told by the windshield company that the sensor should be rest by bmw. I was told by bmw that there is no way to "reset" the sensor. I sold the zhp before i figured out who was at fault.
    Thanks. I've reached out to the windshield guys. Am also considering buying a used sensor to see if that helps.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Sub'd.
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Did you get OEM glass, Shawn? If not, that could possibly be the cause of your problem.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I was given the run-a-round when it came to my sensor. I never had a new one put in, but was told mine looked "worn on the contacts" or some crap like that. Hope you resolve it.
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast