Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMaico View Post
    I've never tried going into those hidden ODBII functions but that should work fine to tell you what kind of voltage you're getting with the car off and running. Mine always runs at 14.1 to 14.2 with the car running. That's assuming my gauge is accurate.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...reader-for-100
    So I tested it using the OBC
    Car off 12.2 - 12.3
    Car on started at 13.9, then slowly crept up to 14 and 14.2 max.

Car started ok this time - perhaps just a TINY shudder ONCE as idle speed started to settle...

So I guess it's not the battery, huh? (although the AAP guy's tool said 'charging needed')

btw OBC function 2.0 is COOL - gauge test - will post a video shortly...
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

Battery should read about 12.5 volts after 1 hour of no load. Your battery may not be "holding" charge.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Ya, if you're SURE it's fully charged now it should be at least 12.5 minimum. My old one is holding steady at 12.75. Too bad they would be so expensive to ship, you could have my old one. I have an Interstate 94R in the car now.

Just throwing this out there as potential useful information. I had a battery problem a few weeks ago. I tried to leave work and my car wouldn't start, but the dash still light up and everything, when I tried to start the car it would make a clicking noise, but would not turn over. Turned out to be a bad battery, one of the cells had died and when I read the voltage it was only 9.6 volts IIRC.

I didn't know this right away and assumed it was a starter problem, so I tried to start my car via dumping the clutch in first and turning the key. Car started but all of my dash lights were on. ABS, CEL, DSC everything. I'm pretty sure it was because my car started with very little battery power and my alternator was freaking out trying to power the car.

So yes I'm sure the CEL light could have been battery related. Also the morning of my battery problem, I had a very rough start.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

^good data NJ.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

OK so I did it again - This time it had gotten a bit cooler and it started at lower voltage (11.2?) - you can see how it changes upon starting:

and here's the gauge check - just for fun:

2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

Have you had a charger on it at all or driven it enough to be sure it's fully charged? If so, you definitely need a new battery.

That gauge test is pretty cool, gotta try that sometime. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MrMaico View Post
    Have you had a charger on it at all or driven it enough to be sure it's fully charged? If so, you definitely need a new battery.

That gauge test is pretty cool, gotta try that sometime. :-)
    Driving car will not fully charge battery.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

I drove it yesterday about 2 hrs or so...that's it for the last 1.5 weeks...

Since it sat for a while AND the temp changed quickly, I wonder if you ended up with condensation in the fuel somewhere, and it just freaked out on first start? Run that tank dry, fill her up and drop some Techron in there. But I also agree with the battery being a possible culprit, but if so, I would imagine more symptoms. When my battery was going, starting took a little longer. Not more cranks, but the cranks just got slower and slower. IE: It went from "vra vra vra vroom!" to "vra..... vra..... vra... vroom!" to finally "vrrrraaaaa................. vrrrraaaaa.............. ...... ..... click.... click".

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast