Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How many of you have already replaced your VCG?

Our ZHPs are coming up to age. And I'm wondering how many of you guys & gals have already done a gasket replacement? Did you replace due to leak(s) or preventive maintenace? And year of ZHP and mileage when replaced.

Wondering if I should do a PM or wait for leaks before I do a VCG.....
    Lawrence
    "But Mama....That's where the fun is!"
    BMW CCA #192742
    San Diego & Sin City Chapter
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE
    '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen (The Crown Jewel)
    '20 X5 M Sport Tourquis Blue - #3 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Sapphire Black - #1 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Mineral White - Daughter & Grand Kids Ride
    '24 X4 M40i Brooklyn Grey - SO's New Ride
    '05 330i ZHP Mystic Blue Metallic 6 spd - My Ride
    '03 Nissan Frontier XE Crew Cab - Hauler & Down Range vehicle

My car is a 2005 and has 76,xxx miles on it and I did it last weekend. Was leaking oil onto the exhaust manifold when parked on an incline with the front up. Upon pulling the valve cover, the entire gasket was brittle. It cracked as I removed it.
    ------
    A Venza just isn't the same as a ZHP.

Replaced at 50k due to leak.

My 325i (2003) had the vcg replaced due to leaking at 50k and again at 100k.

I personally would leave it until it causes a problem.

I'd also plan on doing the vanos while you're in there when you finally do need to replace the vcg.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

nike001 Guest
    Mine was done last november at like 103k maybe.

VERY easy DIY. Just time consuming... I can probably do it in under two hours now since I've done it a few times on mine

I'm at 75k and it doesn't leak yet. I will change it if it starts to leak or when my VANOS goes bad. I think that preventive maintenance for a gasket that will eventually fail (but doesn't leave you stranded) is excessive. If you do it PM, you are essentially throwing away a part that still has value and function. Might as well get as much use as possible out of the old one before buying a new one.

Mine is leaking now at 83K. It'll be the first time that it's been replaced (to my knowledge). I'm also doing the VANOS. I'm having it done at a shop since it'll be discounted. I would do it myself, but I don't have a good space to do it in (crowded parking lot in downtown city area is not good), I'd probably be short one or two tools despite my extensive collection, it would end up taking twice as long as I had planned, and I would probably break something. I also sourced all the parts I would use and taking it to a shop with the discount is only 70 bucks more. To me, that's worth it.

143k miles......not replaced.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    143k miles......not replaced.
    Are you sure it's original? Can't imagine one going that long.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Mine started leaking at 68,000, so I had to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    Are you sure it's original? Can't imagine one going that long.
    My car is a cream puff. It had the upgraded VCG put in it, on the assembly line.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast