Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I have OEM rotors and pads, and experience the same problem this past weekend. Drove on the highway for 5 hours in rain and 40 degrees. I just had to remind myself that every few minutes I needed to give my brakes a tap.

I think it is the cold water constantly running over the pads and rotors. Kind of like putting a beer in cold water cools it down faster than putting it in a freezer.

Good analogy

Quote Originally Posted by ryankokesh View Post
    Good analogy
    Haha, yep. Made perfect sense here.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

It all comes back to beer.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I have a similar issue, but it is mainly just wet conditions. Any time I'm driving in a good rain, my braking can be delayed, kinda like you have experienced, Keith. Its because your rotors and pads get damp. I make sure to periodically dry/warm mine when its raining by applying the brakes lightly with my left foot. I do this regularly in the rain. I've had some of those pucker moments due to wet brakes.
    19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

i've experienced this with stock pads. i was always taught to tap the breaks light in wet weather anyways to make sure you're stuffs ready. first time it happened it did take me by surprise as i was in traffic ... aka my butthole did pucker.

The owner's manual mentions it:
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW AG
    It is a good idea to periodically dry the brakes with a gentle application when driving in rain or on wet roads. Watch traffic conditions to ensure that this maneuver does not endanger other road users. The heat generated in this process helps dry the pads and rotors to ensure that your brake system will respond with undiminished efficiency when you need it.

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

I had this happen to me too in the rain. Scary at first because I was going fast. I guess I need to "dry my brakes" more often!

As discussed, this happens to me with the stock pads. I do practically all highway driving, so I've figured it out, but the pucker always happens.

I've heard that newer bmws put the pad closer to the rotor when wet to keep them from cooling too much. That hasn't been verified but I've never heard of this issue with stock e90s.

First time I ever experienced this was on my e30 with upgraded pads/rotors in the rain.
    - Marc

Quote Originally Posted by zhpnsnv View Post
    I've heard that newer bmws put the pad closer to the rotor when wet to keep them from cooling too much. That hasn't been verified but I've never heard of this issue with stock e90s.
    So doesn't that mean faster brake wear?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast