Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

HID Xenon 4300k fog light conversion doityourself

I installed a 4300k 9006 HID conversion kit that I've had laying around for a couple of years into my fog lights yesterday. Very simple to do.

One screw holds the fogs in after removing the plastic shroud from the front. Remove the screw and slide the light assy slightly toward the center of the car to release the tab on the outer edge and then out of the car. Unplug the power connection and remove the light with bulb in place. I had always noticed a cloudiness on my lenses so I released the two plastic tabs on the fog light assy and cleaned out the inside and lens. Not necessary to mess with the adjuster to take them apart.

I used double sided tape to stick the ballasts in behind where the fogs mount. It's actually the back side of the fender liner. Just plug the connector from the car into the ballasts and the two single wire connectors into the bulb wires. It's pretty much self explanatory. Depending on the brand you might have two extra connectors on the bulb wiring, I just plugged them into each other. Not sure if that was even necessary or not, those wires are for a different style vehicle I assume.

Mount the lights back up and your done. I didn't actually drive mine yet but I checked them out in the garage after dark and they are WAY BRIGHTER than the old halogen ones. My lights looked to be shining too low so I cranked them up a ways and will check them out and aim them this weekend.

You can find the kits lots of places. Mine came from VVME. They have been selling them for years.....around $50. A great, cheap upgrade.....

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...torefreshZtrue

There are other places that are even cheaper, $35 to $40 but I can't vouch for their service or quality.

A look at where I mounted the left ballast....

Left ballast mounted.....

Left side done. It's hard to tell in this pic just how much brighter and whiter they are....

Both done......

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.....

Barry

I had meant to put this in the DIY section. If someone wants to move it...

Got a chance to try them out last night. Much better! Basically twice the light when used with the low beams. I'd like to get my coding changed now so that they don't go off when you use the high beams.

I had to adjust them up quite a bit more than I already had. If nothing else, people should check the adjustment of their fogs.

For someone with ZKW lights with bad bowls this should be a must-do mod.

Nice writeup bro. Thanks for the time and effort.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Great write-up.

Did you experience your cluster flickering upon ignition of the HIDs?

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Nice writeup bro. Thanks for the time and effort.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    Thanks Dane, I didn't take a whole lot of pics but it's pretty self explanatory once you take things apart.

Quote Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
    Great write-up.

Did you experience your cluster flickering upon ignition of the HIDs?
    Thanks, I have noticed a few times a flash of the blue highbeams symbol if the fogs haven't been on for a while. If they're warmed up it doesn't do it. I take it this is a known issue? Will it cause any other issues? I might have to do some searching. I hope I don't have to run a separate power wire and relay setup.

Barry

EDIT: Hmmm.....thanks for the heads-up Monk3y. Maybe this isn't such a good idea....

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...845&highlight=

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HI...Wiring-Harness

It looks like I should install a relay kit if I leave these in. Have you heard of people frying their LCM? I was a little surprised to see the small size of the fog wiring but I had read of other people doing this with no mention of needing a relay setup. I had mainly just wanted them for use as a DRL and for out on the backroads where there isn't much traffic (lots of deer around here) because I am aware of the issues with putting an HID in a halogen housing. They do seem to have a decent beam pattern though, there is a good sharp cutoff across the top. I can't see them being a problem for oncoming drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMaico View Post
    Thanks, I have noticed a few times a flash of the blue highbeams symbol if the fogs haven't been on for a while. If they're warmed up it doesn't do it. I take it this is a known issue? Will it cause any other issues? I might have to do some searching. I hope I don't have to run a separate power wire and relay setup.

Barry

EDIT: Hmmm.....thanks for the heads-up Monk3y. Maybe this isn't such a good idea....

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...845&highlight=

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HI...Wiring-Harness

It looks like I should install a relay kit if I leave these in. Have you heard of people frying their LCM? I was a little surprised to see the small size of the fog wiring but I had read of other people doing this with no mention of needing a relay setup. I had mainly just wanted them for use as a DRL and for out on the backroads where there isn't much traffic (lots of deer around here) because I am aware of the issues with putting an HID in a halogen housing. They do seem to have a decent beam pattern though, there is a good sharp cutoff across the top. I can't see them being a problem for oncoming drivers.
    With fogs being so low, you won't annoy drivers as long as they are aimed properly.

I'd look into installing a relay. All you're going to do is tap into your positive terminal so the start-up isn't as rough as it is right now. Thank you for searching so I don't have to explain much

I've heard stories of LCMs going, but nothing first hand.

I knew Khoa use to sell them, I have no clue where they went on the new website though

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Thanks, I went ahead and ordered a relay kit off Ebay. DDM wanted $16 for shipping so I found the same harness on Ebay for the same price with free shipping. I should have known......that DIY was just too easy.

I installed Xenon M3 fogs from Umnitza in my car and they work beautifully, but they do the same thing you're experiencing when I hit the fog button. The blue brights indicator flashes and it sounds like my stereo cuts out for a brief second as well. I didn't think much of it, and I'll probably just keep it as is, hopefully it's all good. Let us know how it works after you install that harness!

2016 BMW M340i

BMW CCA Member . Dinan Stage 1 Software . Dinan 3.5" Exhaust . Dinan CAI & Turbo Inlet . VSRF Charge Pipe . H&R Sport Springs . CF: Front Splitter, Rear Valance, Trunk Spoiler, Roof Spoiler, M3 Mirror Covers . BMW Performance pedals . Gloss black ///M kidneys . 12mm F / 15mm R BMS Spacers. NGK 94201 Plugs .

2013 BMW X5 M-Sport - Sold
    2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Cadeez View Post
    I installed Xenon M3 fogs from Umnitza in my car and they work beautifully, but they do the same thing you're experiencing when I hit the fog button. The blue brights indicator flashes and it sounds like my stereo cuts out for a brief second as well. I didn't think much of it, and I'll probably just keep it as is, hopefully it's all good. Let us know how it works after you install that harness!
    How long have you had them installed? I'm worried about frying the light switch. I really didn't want to have to screw with the electrical system if I didn't have to though either. But it's not like I'll be cutting any wires to install a relay harness.

Well I've only had the car for ~2 months, installed a week after I bought it. I don't use them a ton either, they are seriously blinding bright at night. So frying the switch would be the issue if there were to be one? I'm not super electrical savvy so any info would be helpful.
    2016 BMW M340i

BMW CCA Member . Dinan Stage 1 Software . Dinan 3.5" Exhaust . Dinan CAI & Turbo Inlet . VSRF Charge Pipe . H&R Sport Springs . CF: Front Splitter, Rear Valance, Trunk Spoiler, Roof Spoiler, M3 Mirror Covers . BMW Performance pedals . Gloss black ///M kidneys . 12mm F / 15mm R BMS Spacers. NGK 94201 Plugs .

2013 BMW X5 M-Sport - Sold
    2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast