Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

peter + zhp = 1, storm = 0

i just got home from a 6-hour drive in the snow, which is normally 3.5hrs. it was one of the most intense drives i've ever done. the first 270km (roughly 165 miles) was highway, all snow-covered and rutty with a mix of plows and spinning cars - i saw 3 spin out in front of me!

once i got off the highway (this was after 4.5hrs of intense two-hands-on-the-steering-wheel-at-all-times driving), it got worse. 48km (30 miles) of unplowed roads, with very low visability (i live on lake ontario so we have crazy winds), and once i actually made it to my road, i didn't actually think i was going to make it home as the drifts were insane. i had 2' drifts at the first 30' of my driveway and perhaps 6-7" of fresh snow in the rest, with bigger drifts.

the ZHP was a champ. i am a very experienced snow driver but this was limit-testing at times. i was impressed by the car's balance and also with the michelin x-ice3's, however at the beginning of the journey the car developed a horrible oscillation which i am hoping is a bent wheel, and not a driveshaft issue. my NEW valve cover gasket (OEM BMW) is leaking at the front, too - crap.

some pics... yes, it was THAT kind of storm - snow INSIDE the door jamb! and the snow was up over the fog lights on the front bumper in many spots. also, a pic looking up my driveway, and one of today's acquisition along the way, a like-new BMW trunk mat! (also note the 3" of caked-on snow on the back of the car ).

peter
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    peter

2005 330iT ZHP | the Growlour

2010 328iT M Sport | smooth operator

Pretty crazy. Glad you made it safely. Could the oscillation just be snow packed in your wheels throwing them out of balance?

Quote Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
    Pretty crazy. Glad you made it safely. Could the oscillation just be snow packed in your wheels throwing them out of balance?
    thanks! and no, BTDT... they were totally clean inside and out when i left the house at 9am yesterday morning and it was happening right away - 3.5hrs to our destination, where i checked again and the wheels were clean. then it continued all the way home - fortunately i was driving under 50mph most of the way on the highway and it wasn't super noticeable, whereas above 50mph it gets progressively worse (which could be a bent wheel or a bad CSB, i suppose). the snow build up in the wheels didn't occur until the last 48km of the trip. i'm going to remove them today and clean out and inspect for bends.

i might bring it to a shop nearby with a hoist and have them run it on the hoist so we can check the driveshaft. i'm incredibly busy over the next few weeks and out of town next weekend so i might actually pay someone to fix it. crazy! i do have a new giubo and CSB sitting on the shelf.

peter
    peter

2005 330iT ZHP | the Growlour

2010 328iT M Sport | smooth operator

What an adventure ! Glad to hear u arrived ok.

That's awesome Peter!!! Too bad you didn't have a GoPro to video the adventure. It must have been incredible!!!

Beast mode. Love it.

"No flamesuit required"
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Badass!

i spy M3 seats. hehe

+1 on snow packed wheels causing the oscillation.

BMW CCA # 510252

Love it! Very challenging in eastern canada over the last couple days... I've been aching for an LSD for the last couple days.
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

peter + zhp = 1, storm = 0

Holy crap. Glad you made it safely. That's definitely the type of drive that'll drive you to drink, lol.

Have been hearing good things about the x-ice 3s lately. Guessing you like them? Thinking that might be my go to next year...

Sent from my iPhone

And that's one of the reasons I left Kingston all those years ago. Come to BC Peter. Its much milder here.

2008 128i ZSP Sedonarot

---

2004 330i ZHP Imolarot
    Conforti Shark Injector - Installation Pending!
    AFE Magnum FORCE Stage 1 PRO 5R Intake
    ECS Tuning Strut Bar
    ECS Tuning Magnetic Drain Plug
    German Auto Solutions DISA Gold Valve
    CDV Delete
    BSW and Polk Drivers
    Ziza LED Interior Kit
    Khoalty CREE LED Reverse Lights
    BMW strut tower reinforcement plates

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast