Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is This DISA Valve Noise?

I just had my rattle seals done. I don't think they have failed.

You should be able to hear the noise. It's like a plastic-y/flapping sound. It's most notable in the middle and ends of the video.

I always thought it made a diesel sound from the videos ive heard, that dosen't sound like it to me.

have you tried unplugging it to see if the sound goes away?

"I don't care if the door gaps are straight. When the driver steps on the gas I want him to sheet his pant's." Enzo Ferrari

No I should try unplugging it.

I was just hoping that noise wasn't my VANOS because I just had it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitexi View Post
    I always thought it made a diesel sound from the videos ive heard, that dosen't sound like it to me.

have you tried unplugging it to see if the sound goes away?
    When I was checking out my car right before I bought it it was making sort of a diesel sound but it was doing it at idle. A mechanic came out and unhooked the wire and it went away. They took it into the shop and replaced it while I completed the paperwork.

Just a guess but I suppose if the pin/rivet on the Disa flap was loose or gone it could make a sound like you're hearing.

Did you have a Vanos rattle before the rebuild? Did it sound the same or similar?

I didn't have much of a rattle before the rebuild. My car sounds exactly the same actually. I'm just making sure I didn't get gypped or something.

It doesn't sound like it would be the VANOS. It sounds like its a plasticy rattle. Since the DISA is plastic I'm just using logic.

Doesn't sound all that bad to me. Pull the DISA and check it, pretty simple to do. If that isn't it, have you checked your oil level lately? Sometimes it is the simple things we so easily forget.

Is it ok to run the engine with the disa wire unplugged to see if the noise goes away?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    Is it ok to run the engine with the disa wire unplugged to see if the noise goes away?
    Yes.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Yes.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Thanks. One more question, will it quite down if unpugged and it actually is making the noise?

I can't remember if the DISA is energized <4000 RPM or above 4000 RPM. If energized and closed <4000, it will be trying to close it at idle and this could make a rattling noise if the pin broke. If the other way, DME will only try to close it above 4000 RPM and any noise <4000 would be a broken DISA flap just "flapping" around due to normal intake airflow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast