Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Sunshade repair help! The driver is jammed.

While following the DIY for sunshade repair (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1388821
    ), I went in to grab my sunshade driver from the very back of the cassette. That sucker is jammed way back there. I have tried to pull it forward, but it will not budge. I fear I will break it if I try any harder to move it, and I really am trying to avoid taking out my headliner.

Has anyone had a similar problem? If so, what did you do? I am trying to avoid taking the headliner and cassette out and replacing the driver. I really want to salvage the driver if I can.

Would cycling the sunroof window (glass part), back and forth be detrimental (i.e. become explosive)? My only though was...if you could cycle it...it may catch it enough to even it out (unstick it).
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Update: I'm 90% sure I fixed it!!!!!

Potentially a grand in labor and parts: Saved!

The driver was jammed way, way, way in the back. It refused to move entirely. I was worried that it broke into pieces and fell of its track. I tried about 4 different makeshift tools to try and get it to budge, but it refused to move. I realized I needed a small hook, and everything I had made was not fitting entirely over. It was jammed in a very odd position such that I could only get behind driver from the side and not over the top of it.

Lo and behold, the water channel has two hooks, one on either end, that supposed to fit in the track. Since I had a new one as part of the repair kit, I decided to give it a shot and potentially ruin the old one. It already is designed to fit in the cassette perfectly, so I figured it would work great. Result? Yanking and pulling directly straight on the track, the driver finally started to move forward!!

It was extremely hard to move. Like, really hard. I now know exactly why the entire mechanism failed. The track had way too much friction, which basically broke everything one day.

I pulled the driver forward and was surprised to find that it was the exact same brand-new beefy driver that came as part of my sunshade repair kit. Either someone did a poor job of repairing this, or 2004+ cars came with this new driver. Either way, I was glad to see that it is in good condition and I don't need to take off my headliner. R E L I E F.

This is the result of pulling the driver with the old water channel.

I greased up the track very liberally with dielectric grease, especially where the driver slid. I could tell the motor was struggling a bit whenever it started moving the driver, but after greasing it significantly decreased. I gave it a few test runs, and it worked like a charm! Now I just need to wait for my anthracite sunshade to come in and I'll be back in business, assuming nothing breaks when I give it the final test run.

I noticed a noise coming from the driver's side, kind of a creaking or something, whenever the driver gets pushed back to the maximum extent of its travel. Is this something to be concerned about?

Take a look at Triflow Clear Synthetic Grease. http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Syn...synthetic.html

A few people recommended it to me for the sunroof as it supposedly does very well in the extreme heat found in the sunroof cavity during the summer.

From what I've read, the heat is what breaks down the lubricant and causes issues with the sunroof.

Great job troubleshooting that without dropping the headliner.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    Take a look at Triflow Clear Synthetic Grease. http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Syn...synthetic.html

A few people recommended it to me for the sunroof as it supposedly does very well in the extreme heat found in the sunroof cavity during the summer.

From what I've read, the heat is what breaks down the lubricant and causes issues with the sunroof.

Great job troubleshooting that without dropping the headliner.
    Good call. Yeah, I think I will either get that or some sprayable lithium grease so I can get to the far back sections of the track and really get grease between the track and driver. Is there anything wrong with mixing grease types? n00b question but I am trying to avoid ever messing with this thing again.

Good question. I'm not sure.

The only advantage to the Triflow over white lithium is Triflow is good to 400 degrees while lithium is only good to 300.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Just an update for anyone who is having a similar problem and comes across this thread.

I bought liquid wrench silicone lube only because I used silicone-based lubricant already. I sprayed it particularly under the driver slider and all along the trick, as well as inbetween the track. The strange noises went away, and the driver slides very easily, save for a specific area that seems somewhat chewed up. I do no think it normally goes over to that area though, so I think I'm good.

There are parts of the track that are definitely chewed up a little. I am hoping the lubricant can salvage the track and won't cause any problems in the future. If it is a problem, I think I can use a file and smooth out the edges a bit. Worst case scenario, I buy a new cassette ... Or just never use my sunroof ever, but I really want this thing to work.