Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post DIY OEM Bluetooth Retrofit doityourself

I actually did this almost a year ago, but didn't have the mounting brackets to do it up right . . . [Jeremy Clarkson voice] until now.

(I used this guide from Bimmernav to help myself along the first time.)

Tools you'll need:
    • Philips screwdriver
    • flat screwdriver (or your fingernails)
    • 8 mm socket
    • 10 mm socket

Parts you'll need:
    • a BMW TCU (84 10 9 129 851) or ULF (13th gen 84 10 9 154 358) (I pulled the TCU from my wife's 2004 X5 with Assist, YMMV)
    • TCU bracket – 84 13 6 924 551
    • Bluetooth antenna – 84 50 6 928 461
    • BT antenna bracket – 84 13 6 912 160
    • "body nut" x4 – 61 13 1 372 033
    • "hex bolt" x4 – 07 11 9 902 932
    • plastic nut x3—6 (I used 3) – 63 25 9 128 043
    • hands-free microphone – 84 31 6 938 762

Parts for the trunk (L to R): TCU bracket, TCU, "body nuts", "hex bolts"
    (plastic nut not pictured)

Parts for inside the cabin: antenna bracket, Bluetooth antenna, plastic nuts

Got all that? Good, here we go.

0. Before doing any installation steps, look at the TCU's label for a four-digit number labeled "PK"; this is the pairing key you'll need when pairing your phone for the first time. You do not want to get everything installed only to discover you don't remember the pairing key!

1. Pop your trunk & use a flathead screwdriver or your fingernails to remove the plastic expanding rivets holding the left side of the trunk liner in place:

I think there is supposed to be a second one here:

2. Start pulling the trunk lining away from the body & into the main trunk cavity:

Keep pulling it away until you reveal the trunk accessories framework:

3. I didn't find out until later that it's much easier to route the needed cables now, before you start mounting the TCU.

There is enough room between the mounting brackets & the body to route the cables to this position, behind the bracket:

These two cables are long enough to be routed through this hole in the bracket:

4. Clip the body nuts onto the top part of the main bracket:

5. Bolt the TCU bracket to the main bracket with the four 8 mm "hex bolts"

6. Plug in the large black plug into the back end of the TCU before mounting the TCU on the bracket! Unless you're leprechaun-sized you won't have enough room to both work & see what you're doing if you try plugging it in after mounting it. Trust me.

7. Mount the TCU on the bracket, plug in the blue & white plugs, & secure with a 10 mm plastic nut:

Note: I only had one plastic nut from the wife's X5 to use, but the TCU feels secure enough to me to not be worried. Also, the white plug gets in the way of putting one on the right post, & the two on the other end (by the black plug) were too difficult to fit anything back there to tighten them anyway.

8. Button up everything in the trunk the reverse way you took it apart: guide the trunk lining back into its place, reinsert the expanding rivets, & close your trunk.

Now for the inside portion:

1. The Bluetooth antenna mounts at the back end of the center console, so get into your back seat & open your ashtray:

Press the ashtray cover down fully to pop the ashtray out of the console:

2. Remove the two plastic screws in the expanding rivets at the bottom:

The screws & rivets look like this, so be careful to not strip them when reassembling:

3. You can now remove the ashtray holder thingy but be careful to not break the cable plugged into it for the little ashtray light:

4. After unplugging the light, you can now remove the two Philips screws at the bottom of the ashtray cavity:

(Yes, I lost a washer . . . )

5. Now remove the plastic lining trim piece; it just snaps out (sorry, I didn't get a picture).

6. You can now lift up the back portion of the center console to gain access to the antenna mounting location (you'll need to raise the armrest to do so):

I didn't remove any of the parts at the front of the center console so I couldn't completely remove this part, I just had to hold it up while working. It really wasn't that much of an inconvenience.

Here is the location you'll be mounting the antenna & bracket to:

7. Mount the Bluetooth antenna to its bracket with two 10 mm plastic nuts, attach the black & purple cable to it, & attach the assembly to the mounting point with the silver body nuts:

Note: I mistakenly did not use the body nuts to clip the antenna bracket to the mounting point; it would've made reassembling the center console much easier. Do it like this:

8. Now, just reassemble everything in the reverse order of disassembly, taking care to route the ashtray light power cable through each piece as you go.

The microphone installation is exceptionally simple, just follow Bimmernav's guide.

To use your new factory Bluetooth system, either start the car or turn the ignition to position 2. The TCU should be discoverable for ~120 seconds; use the pairing code from the label to connect. After a successful pairing, your phone should automatically connect each time you get in the car.

I hope this helped! Enjoy your BMW Bluetooth system!
    Last edited by Crickett; 09-18-2021 at 07:28 PM. Reason: corrected IMG links

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

Well done. Nice writeup Crickett.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Another great contribution.

Nice work.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Wow--pretty awesome DIY. I had seen a couple passing comments around that OEM bluetooth was getting easier to do parts-wise--something about the latest ULF but haven't researched it fully. While I think this would be cool to have am still on the fence whether I'm up for this level of work/cost for this feature...hmm....
    '05 ZHP Coupe 6MT | Imola Red w/ Natural Brown
    M3 Mirrors | BMW Performance Airbox & Strut Brace | AC Schnitzer Pedals | Weathertech Mats | Homelink Transmitter | OEM First Aid Box | Dynavin N7 Pro

Yes, this is a great write-up and photos. What also amazes is that there already is a cable to the spot where the antenna goes. Makes me want to disassemble things just to see whats where.

Can you give a approximate cost for parts?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GMATT; 01-26-2012 at 11:23 AM.

Gary
    2004 ZHP Coupe TiAg 6mt
    "I never said it was special"

Meric Guest
    Nicee.. Did you get your contacts on the radio's screen?

Nice DIY! Thanks...

Tapatalk App
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Quote Originally Posted by GMATT View Post
    Can you give a approximate cost for parts?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    $0 for me (pulled from our X5); I think I've seen ~$300 – $500 for used sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Meric View Post
    Nicee.. Did you get your contacts on the radio's screen?
    Yup! On my iPhone I chose a contacts list to sync when connected to a Bluetooth device; not sure if all phones are that way.
    Last edited by Crickett; 01-26-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

What's the difference between a TCU and a ULF?
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast