Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

DME update free?

I just purchased a Shark Injector, but before installing it I would like to know if it is recommended to take the car to the dealer and updated the DME. Should it be free or will the dealer charge me? I know that my car has not visited the dealer in at least 5 years (after last warranty visit my dad performed all maintenance, then I bought from him).

Thanks!
    Juan Luis

2003 Imola Red Sedan

I would think a dealer would charge you money for the DME update - especially if you are no longer under a warranty. From what I've read, an independent shop may be able to perform the update for you at a similar/cheaper cost. The dealer may have to send your DME to a different location. There are two types of DME updates, apparently: ones that update the 4,000 rpm dip and ones that update the sluggishness in the 2,800 - 3,000 rpm range.

Someone please correct me, though!

Meric Guest
    I will call my dealer and ask about it today.

Both can be done with software. It's recommended that you put out an APB here at ZHPMafia.com or on e46fanatics.com looking for a DME coding expert in your regional section. Probably charge you a six-pack or a small nominal fee. At the dealer it's an hours worth of labor.

4k Dip is a knock sensor issue; DISA opening at 4100 rpm is mistaken for detonation and fuel is retarded. Updated tells the DME to dump extra fuel during the 'detonation period' to avoid the loss of power.

2.8k rpm issue could be many things. Oxygen Sensor related, Coil Pack related (Service Bulletin), simply changing the Spark Plugs may defeat the issue. But I do recall there was an update to cure this. PM TerraPhantm on e46f, bf.c, Bimmerfest or M3forum and he'll clue you in to what's really happening!

Best of luck with the issue!
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Mute point, but I always thought DISA opened up at 3750 rpms.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Opens at 4100 rpm and closes at 3750 rpm.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    Opens at 4100 rpm and closes at 3750 rpm.
    Werd. Got it. Thanks.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

The DISA opening is where the 4k dip stems from
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

Meric Guest
    Just asked the dealer that mine has already been updated. But there is no cost for the update because they consider it as a recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Meric View Post
    Just asked the dealer that mine has already been updated. But there is no cost for the update because they consider it as a recall.
    That's news to me...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast