Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

UUC Flywheel and M5 Clutch Kit (anyone use it?)

Guys,

I have 138,500 miles on my ZHP and it is about time for a new clutch. I am going to order one in a few days and I was hopeful someone could help me out. In reading the review of the UUC light flywheel on my330i.com he says it is 13lbs. But on the ECS website which has the kit with the M5 clutch I want it says it is 8.5lbs. I am not sure I want to go that light.

I noticed the my330 review is quite old, is there a chance UUC has lightened it over the years?

Anyways, just wondering if any of you have this kit in your ZHP. I am looking for this because I am tired of the "disposable" dual mass flywheels BMW makes for $600 a pop. Not to mention the performance gains are intriguing as well.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Called UUC and answered my own question. The 6 speed flywheel is in fact 13lbs.
    Last edited by Smolck; 01-06-2012 at 08:10 AM.

My opinion: STEER CLEAR. I put one on a 2002 BMW 325i along with the organic high performance disc. I considered it ruining my car. I couldn't stand the gear lash when idling in neutral and the clutch was HEAVY. Because the flywheel was so light, launching under normal conditions was a PITA. Made the car difficult to drive. Also, because the flywheel is so light, when the clutch was disengaged (as in coming to a red light or placing in neutral) the car would stall because there was no momentum as with a dual mass flywheel. The car did not have time to adjust due to the lack of rotational mass. Vibrations transferred through the car because it is not dual mass.

There was a minor performance gain - I didn't think it was at all worth it. I'd never put one on my ZHP - I also read the flywheel on a ZHP is lighter than that on a standard BMW.

I'd be interested in hearing other people's opinions. I am only sharing my experience with it.
    ------
    A Venza just isn't the same as a ZHP.

^good info. Committed to memory.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I don't know if my experience could help you, but I had a 13lb flywheel on my E30 with E36 M3 drivetrain. The chatter when not in gear was mind blowing. It's very loud, and quite frankly sounds like something was loose in the drivetrain (the sound was normal - supposed to sound like that).

The acceleration, however, was unbelievable. The car wanted to rev much easier with the light flywheel. Rev matches were cake, as throttle response was greatly improved. Of course, this was on a car that still actuated the throttle body with a cable, but for the performance it was worth it. The chatter was really getting on my nerves though before I sold the car.

Taking off wasn't difficult at all for me. I think it's only a problem for people with certain driving styles. I've driven one with an 8lb flywheel as well and that wasn't difficult to drive either.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by SoarinZHP View Post
    There was a minor performance gain - I didn't think it was at all worth it. I'd never put one on my ZHP - I also read the flywheel on a ZHP is lighter than that on a standard BMW.

I'd be interested in hearing other people's opinions. I am only sharing my experience with it.
    Myth busted. No Lightened Flywheel in the ZHP from the factory.

If this is a DD, move on. Check out the Turner flywheel, Grand Am Cup Legal Lightweight Steel Flywheel. It's a steel single-mass, so more power is transferred to the wheels, and is 20 pounds, five pounds lighter than stock so your throttle response will be a little more responsive.

Remember, if your ZHP is not a race car, you'll want some momentum on your drive-train to decrease wear.

Best of luck with the decision.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

OMT - I think if you were going to track your car the negatives probably wouldn't be that big of a deal.... For a DD, I would definitely think twice, maybe three times about it...
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    Myth busted. No Lightened Flywheel in the ZHP from the factory.
    Really? I thought the factory one chattered because it's lightened. Why does it chatter then if it's not lightweight? Any idea?

BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by SoarinZHP View Post
    My opinion: STEER CLEAR. I put one on a 2002 BMW 325i along with the organic high performance disc. I considered it ruining my car. I couldn't stand the gear lash when idling in neutral and the clutch was HEAVY. Because the flywheel was so light, launching under normal conditions was a PITA. Made the car difficult to drive. Also, because the flywheel is so light, when the clutch was disengaged (as in coming to a red light or placing in neutral) the car would stall because there was no momentum as with a dual mass flywheel. The car did not have time to adjust due to the lack of rotational mass. Vibrations transferred through the car because it is not dual mass.

The one for the 5 speed car is 8.5lbs so it may have been really bad. Several people I have talked to say they have this kit and love it.

If one is capable of doing the job themselves, I'd say try it and see if you like it. Then you'd know for sure and could easily go back to a stock setup. I was not comfortable with my mechanical skills and had a shop do it - plus I needed the car back ASAP. At the time I was not (and still not) in the financial position to have a clutch replaced so frequently.
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Really? I thought the factory one chattered because it's lightened. Why does it chatter then if it's not lightweight? Any idea?

Well there is only one part number for six speed equipped e46 flywheels...21207533868. And Barry (Mr.Maico) has literature somewhere that disproves this theory.

Do you stock ZHPer's experience any chatter in gear at low rpm or in neutral at a standstill? Because I've only heard of the Stock Flywheel Chatter issue upon shutdown with the car in gear/clutch depressed.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast